We are hiring a Senior Buyer for our Corporate Office in Birmingham, AL! The Senior Buyer is responsible for overseeing purchasing, distribution, merchandise management for assigned team and category(ies), developing, and executing a “toe to head” merchandising strategy for all Hibbett I City Gear stores that achieves key performance indicators. Identifies optimal product assortment for Hibbett I City Gear stores based on sales, inventory turn, margins, customer data, and market trends. Plans assortments, negotiates with suppliers and works collaboratively with planners, allocators, other buyers, and other Hibbett | City Gear business partners to ensure merchandising goals are met. Negotiates, selects, and purchases the best products and quantities to meet key performance indicators and monitors those key indicators daily. Mentors and coaches more junior merchandising associates. The Senior Buyer is responsible for the overall financial performance of assigned merchandise areas including sales, margin, inventory turn, and GMROI.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and mentor merchants in all aspects of business and professionalism.
- Take on additional projects to help drive future efficiency with systems and processes.
- Manage larger volume or complex category(s) of business.
- Facilitate change adaptability to other members of the merchandising team.
- Be proficient in strategic thinking and have advanced business acumen.
- Research market trends, consumer buying behaviors (internal and external), and competitors’ strategies and actions, to forecast product demand, projected inventory requirements, and sales levels.
- Develop sales and merchandising plans to achieve key performance indicators and financial objectives that are aligned to Hibbett | City Gear’s business plan and financial targets.
- Negotiate terms of buys, profitability, shipping, marketing proposals, and product selection with vendors to ensure optimal product selection is achieved.
- Build and manage vendor relationships to ensure Hibbett I City Gear receives product assortments that match customer demographics and buying patterns. Communicate with vendors to respond to current conditions and in anticipation of future requirements.
- Work with Assortment Planning team to build relevant assortments for stores each season.
- Prepare, create, write, and issue purchase orders and change notices.
- Execute markdowns on slow product to manage aged inventory and keep turn and profitability at appropriate level.
- Review market and delivery conditions to determine present and future merchandise availability and prepare market analysis reports. Identify risks and opportunities by category and manage processes to meet inventory and fulfillment goals.
- Provide marketing department with samples, product flow, big stories, and direction regarding how to merchandise product in stores. This includes, but is not limited to, the tiered calendar, photo shoots, store directives, social media, email blasts, and vendor information and direction.
- Communicate with field representatives, including district managers and regional managers as needed. Listen actively to geographic/demographic requests and address as appropriate.
- Manage financial sheets with monthly sales, inventory, and profitability projections for the category of responsibility.
- Participate in monthly EOM financial meeting to inform planning and management teams of the state of the business.
- Problem solve shipping and packing issues. Track orders to ensure they are being allocated correctly and on time. Manage inventory flow to ensure appropriate levels.
- Work with financial planners and divisional merchandise managers on creating and maintaining yearly sales plans.
- Communicate and coordinate with allocation and planning to allocate and manage inventory levels and products in stores. Instruct allocation team on how to execute the needs of the buy of products and merchandising vision.
- Attend major shows and vendor meetings throughout the year as appropriate ensuring product lines are current, and to capitalize on new trends and/or products.
- Review new and current vendors to meet receipt and white space as needed.
- Meet/Exceed store visit requirements as determined on a quarterly/yearly basis. Shop competitor locations consistently to stay on top of product trends in their locations.
- Protect company’s assets and financial information by ensuring the accuracy and effectiveness of internal control procedures and informing management and/or appropriate officials of potential fraud risk.
- Experience working for a retail company, specifically footwear
- Seven or more years of experience in merchandising, specifically buying