Location:Greater Chicagoland Area - Hybrid
Job Category:Merchandise Buying
Develops and maintains technology / computer sourcing relationships with vendors keeping abreast of new products and trends. Selects, oversees, and negotiates merchandise orders for hardline product category working with vendor/manufacturer representatives specific to clientele and demand ensuring vendor compliance with terms and conditions. Implements and manages pricing strategy, promotional ideas, events, inventory control management, and re-orders based upon sales cycle to maximize revenue and margins. Monitors, analyzes, and reports sales and inventory data. May supervise other buyers or support staff and participate in systems implementations and upgrades as required.
• Hardlines / Technology Sr Buyer will be responsible for buying computers & accessories for university partners & retail, analyzing past buying trends, sales records, price and quality of merchandise to determine value and yield. The Sr Buyer will select, order and authorize payment for merchandise according to contractual agreements.
• Perform in-depth analysis and management of key product categories identified by senior leadership for each season, including direct contact and negotiation with vendors ensuring communication and execution with Planners and stores.
• Monitor, update, and report sales trends, business plans, and goals utilizing reporting programs and formats.
• Maintain relationships with vendors for the product, pricing, terms, shipping, and all other vendor-related concerns.
• Inspect and appraise prospective merchandise to determine value or yield and select and order merchandise based upon sales plan; select and order merchandise based upon clientele or demand.
• Execute purchase orders for test and seasonal programs.
• Contribute to the development of promotional materials and Promotions Moving Forward (PMF) write-ups.
• Create and conduct sales trend presentations for all vendor meetings.
• Communicate periodically with prospective vendors regarding the review process.
• Coach, counsel, and train Assistant and Associate Buyers, including teaching reporting tools (e.g. JDA MMS and RetailIDEAS), communication protocol, and other job functions.
• Supervise Assistant and Associate Buyers, which may include recruitment, hiring, work direction, performance reviews, discipline, and termination.
• Communicates gift programs with stores or buyers and manages biannual Home Office Sample sale.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree is required; educational background in technology / hardlines merchandising, business, marketing, or related field preferred.
• 5 - 9 years of buying/planning experience with 1+ year of supervisory experience.
• Advanced computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel.
• Advanced experience using JDA MMS and RetailIDEAS or similar retail planning and reporting system.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including effective presentation development and delivery skills.
• Strong analytical acumen and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and adapt to a dynamic work environment.
• Work well and develop strong relationships with cross-functional team.
• Ability to occasionally work non-standard hours and engage in up to 20% business travel, which may include overnight travel.