Senior Designer, Knitwear
Reporting to the Design Director of Knitwear, this candidate will support the Design Director of Knitwear in the development and execution of fully fashioned and seamless knit garments. This candidates must have an impeccable eye for the technical aspect as well as knit garment execution.
The role requires a candidate that can identify business opportunities through a creative and brand appropriate lens. This candidate will liaise with product development, merchandising, tech and production to ensure a cohesive and structured process from concept to customer. This candidate will be responsible for designing seasonal product that is in line with all business targets.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Under the directive of the category Design Director this candidate will help with creative research and concepting of creative ideas in accordance with seasonal line plans specific to knitwear development; concept presentation should include silhouette research, yarn research, swatches/ stitch developments, sketches, drapes, fabric manipulation, textile developments and finishing mockups. All designs presented should consider finishes, trims and branding as needed.
- Review seasonal yarn collections and choose appropriate yarns for the season under the direction of the Design Director.
- Develop and launch stitch requests utilizing chosen yarns. Stitch requests should cover a wide variety of gauges and techniques.
- Ability to present focused design concepts to Design Director to be incorporated in knitwear design presentation to VP of Design and Creative Director. Upon feedback make necessary adjustments and represent and/or develop ideas further.
- Prioritize developments in accordance with overseas deadlines; work with tech designers to ensure all necessary information is passed and communicated to overseas factories. Keep in close communication with tech and pd to ensure developments are proceeding according to plan and present solutions where necessary.
- Delegate and prioritize design workflow from associate designer, assistant designer, intern and liaise with cross functional PD, tech and pattern maker if necessary to ensure all design details are communicated accurately. Ensure all yarn, stitch, trim and construction information is present.
- Name and set up all styles in the system inclusive of product descriptions and accurate sketches. Follow and update all design changes systematically.
- Support Design Director in preparation of design meetings and follow through on updating all design collateral as needed when changes occur.
- Actively update and communicate on necessary updates for design boards.
- Prepare updated information on all design developments for weekly design ops meetings.
- Participate in pre-fitting all prototypes prior to proto review with the intention of making improvements and preparing solutions.
- Support Design Director in preparation of all proto review meetings; making sure that all garments have been assessed and considered. If necessary, prepare solutions or supplemental ideas/ concepts that are in accordance with the seasonal line plan.
- Communicate SMS launch by style and sku to PD and ensure design boards and system are updated to reflect launched styles.
- Check all SMS upon arrival and make any necessary adjustments.
- Support Design Director in preparation of all styling meetings; making sure that all SMS are present and organized in order of the line sheet. Prepare any supplemental design materials needed for style out.
- Participate in styling and fitting of collection for show and/or look book.
- Participate in BOM reviews with an ability to make solution-oriented decisions on trim, counter sourcing, and sales call outs.
- Participate in all necessary SMS through TOP sample fittings. Ensure design integrity and all fit comments are considered and communicated efficiently. Liaise with tech, PD, and production to maintain aesthetic and production viability through to the customer.
- Analyze, leverage, and integrate sales and bookings data to inform ongoing and future designs.
- Work on any additional projects as requested by the Design Director.
- BA or BFA specialized in knitwear
- Fashion Design MFA is a plus
- At least 5 years’ experience in knitwear designer capacity
- Excellent flat sketching skills
- Excellent knowledge of patternmaking or draping
- Excellent knowledge of construction, sewing techniques and finishes
- Familiar with yarn mills, yarn capabilities and applications
- Excellent knowledge of yarn counts and contents
- Excellent knowledge of both domestic and computer knitting machines ie dubied, stoll, shima, steiger etc
- Strong sense for color and understanding of how yarns dye
- Excellent ability to develop unique stitches and swatches with all types of yarn
- Excellent time management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and ability to lead, delegate and manage a team
- Prior experience managing
- Ability to communicate and present design ideas and concepts to a larger audience
- Strong Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign skills
- Enthusiasm to bring new energy into design process
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/D/F/V
In compliance with the New York City salary transparency requirements, the potential salary for this position is from $130,000 to $145,000, which represents a range commensurate with experience, knowledge, and skills required.