Senior Director AI/ML Engineering - Product Innovation and Activity (Open to remote work, except the following locations: SD, VT, and WV)
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE is a technology company. From our flagship website and five-star mobile apps to developing products, managing big data and providing leading edge engineering and systems support, our teams at NIKE Global Technology exist to revolutionize the future at the confluence of tech and sport. We invest and develop advances in technology and employ the most creative people in the world, and then give them the support to constantly innovate, iterate and serve consumers more directly and personally. Our teams are innovative, diverse, multidisciplinary and collaborative, taking technology into the future and bringing the world with it.
NIKE is a technology company. From our flagship website and five-star mobile apps to developing products, managing big data and providing leading edge engineering and systems support, our teams at NIKE Global Technology exist to revolutionize the future at the confluence of tech and sport. We invest and develop advances in technology and employ the most creative people in the world, and then give them the support to constantly innovate, iterate and serve consumers more directly and personally. Our teams are innovative, diverse, multidisciplinary and collaborative, taking technology into the future and bringing the world with it!
At the center of Nike’s Digital Transformation is our Consumer Direct Acceleration. Nike is driving investments in scalable platforms, high quality data, and AI/ML products to create unbreakable relationships with consumers through state-of-the-art product innovation. Nike is looking for a seasoned data science and engineering leader who can cultivate amazing multi-functional teams of machine learning engineers, data engineers, and software engineers to deliver innovative AI and machine products that at scale in support of Nike’s mission to serve Athletes*. Products responsible for include 3D/4D product design automation with Generative AI, size and fit prediction with Computer Vision, Athlete* performance classification, manufacturing automation and robotics, and the delivery of brand-new Athlete* experiences!
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Build a compelling vision and an amazing machine learning engineering organization to support product innovation and activity at Nike. Develop a vision and long-term goals for how your teams will serve Nike’s athletes, plan the strategy for achieving those goals, and be responsible for its implementation towards the north star set.
- Recruit, develop, and grow highly skilled, multi-functional AI/ML teams that deliver end-to-end AI capabilities for Nike. Lead the professional development and career plans for those on your teams, help us develop the technology leaders of tomorrow. Set high standards for engineering excellence and drive innovation through Nike’s AI/ML function.
- Apply engineering and machine learning best practices to consistently deliver scalable, production-grade solutions while actively handling costs and overhead. Continually raise the bar to improve standards, quality, reliability, and velocity of the teams.
- Leverage prior experience, knowledge of industry trends, and personal creativity to develop new and innovative solutions which delight our professional and everyday Athletes/consumers. Given the rapid pace of change in technology and ML today, always be pushing the boundary of what’s possible and be on the offense always.
- Embrace and embody Nike’s core values (maxims) in your work and interactions with peers, partners, and direct reports. Role model transparency and accountability as a leader of Nike. Communicate effectively, build trust and strong relationships across the company, do the right thing.
- Engage employees meaningfully, assist the teams by removing roadblocks, align efforts across Nike’s matrix to drive progress forward and always win as a team.
WHO YOU ARE:
A technical leader with deep knowledge and experience in creating production grade, end-to-end machine learning services at scale. As comfortable discussing modern Generative AI (e.g. GPT3), classification algorithms, computer vision as you would discuss the CAP theorem. Able to dive deep into code and architecture to provide an informed opinion on benefits/trade-offs of different design choices.
Highly organized and able to handle multiple timelines, priorities, and teams with ease. At the same time, able to quickly flex and pivot due to changing circumstances which present new opportunities for Nike.
An effective communicator who can seamlessly flow across discussing high level vision with executives to low level tactics with the dev team. Able to influence people and align priorities across the company to act as one in pursuit of a common goal.
A constant learner passionate about staying at the forefront of the technology, ML landscape through reading journals, books, or blogs. In equal measure, someone who is passionate about growing people and understanding how to successfully lead an organization.
- Bachelor or Master degree in computer science, software engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 10 years of validated experience in developing production grade code, preferably related to analytics or machine learning.
- Deep knowledge of software architecture and engineering methodologies, especially modern cloud computing stacks for deploying machine learning and microservices at scale. For example, AWS for cloud provider, EKS for Kubernetes, Docker for containers, Jenkins for CI/CD, Keras for a deep learning framework.
- Strong background (both theoretical and practical) in machine learning for athlete performance, product design, and manufacturing automation. For example, this could include reinforcement learning for robotics, anomaly detection, NLP for unstructured text featurization, or auto-encoders for feature embeddings.
- Experience influencing platform development for providing foundational machine learning components for data scientists to deliver into production. (i.e. Kubelow, MLFlow, Sagemaker)
Open to remote work, except cannot work in South Dakota, Vermont, and West Virginia. These candidates will be required to relocate. For employees based in Colorado, this position starts at $206,000 per year. Information about benefits can be foundhere.
We take care of our team. Get versed in how Nike helps employees realize their full potential.
Nike requires all applicants for this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of hire, unless otherwise required by law. As an equal opportunity employer, Nike will make accommodations to individuals who cannot be vaccinated in accordance with applicable law.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.