Senior DTC Merchandise Planner
OUTGROWN YOUR OWN BACKYARD? COME PLAY IN OURS.
At Columbia, we’re as passionate about the outdoors as you are. And while our gear is available worldwide, we’re proud to be based in the Pacific Northwest, where natural wonders are our playground.
Every product we make and every task we undertake is inspired by the famous words of our founder Gert Boyle: “It’s perfect. Now make it better.” As pioneers of relentless improvement, we are constantly evolving.
We believe the outdoors is ours to protect and strive to keep our planet healthy. We believe in empowering people to experience the outdoors to the fullest.
And we believe in you.ABOUT THE POSITION
Columbia Sportswear’s dynamic global supply chain consists of 4 distribution centers, 430 retail stores, 80 apparel factories and 20 footwear factories worldwide. We pride ourselves on being able to get products to market quickly, safely, and in the most cost-effective manner. By leveraging data analytics, we are constantly pushing to make smarter business decisions and identifying innovative ways to make Columbia Sportswear’s supply chain more efficient and effective to meet our consumers’ ever-changing needs.
As the Senior DTC Merchandise Planner for North America, you will focus on our outlet, brand, and employee stores within the US and Canada. From merchandising to retail marketing to retail operations (which includes the Retail Operations Process Excellence team), there is a highly collaborative team working “behind the scenes” to ensure our consumers have a positive experience in our stores. Responsible for developing specific merchandise plans to meet key business objectives and financial goals, ensuring profitability and aligning product offering with consumer purchasing trends in Columbia retail stores.HOW YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Drive financial results that maximize sales, inventory and profitability at the channel level
- Develop, execute and communicate strategic merchandise financial plans and strategies that support the merchandising, marketing and financial objectives of the channel
- Direct the development of pre-season sales, gross margin and inventory plans that support product strategies
- Analyze historical data and current trends to identify risks and opportunities to business and recommend strategies to achieve financial goals; conduct hindsight analysis to incorporate learnings into current plans
- Review total financial plans with Merchandise Managers and DMM to ensure alignment of future financial and product opportunities as well as inventory productivity
- Recap and analyze actual sales results by product class to plan and forecast in-season business on a weekly, monthly and annual basis
- Analyze current trends to create markdown strategy
- Responsible for open to buy process and class level forecasts
- Own Style Forecasting process for assigned categories; collaborate with DTC Merch team to build styles forecasts using Blue Yonder Forecasting tool based on assortment
- Manage style level sales and inventory forecasts in conjunction with Supply Chain partners
- A natural problem solver, anticipating and resolving issues through data analysis and quick thinking
- Analytical and numbers oriented, must have a vision of how merchandise should be presented or grouped, understand store profiles
- Organized and able to prioritize tasks and respond to urgent requests/inquiries with minimal supervisory involvement
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment and across multiple functions and departments
- A Bachelors degree in Business, Merchandising or related field
- 5-7 years experience in retail merchandise planning, buying or allocation
- Experience working in a merchant organization as a planner, buyer or equivalent position
- Experience in a wholesale apparel or footwear organization is preferred
- Prior retail planning experience is required
- Familiarity with merchandise management systems and retail planning/forecasting software
- PC proficient with working knowledge of Excel including writing formulas
- Strong understanding of retail math including intricacies of open to buy, inventory turnover and gross margin
Columbia Sportswear Company and our portfolio of brands, including Columbia, SOREL, Mountain Hardwear and prAna, know a thing or two about adventures. After all, we've been on one since 1938, working to perfect the art of enjoying the outdoors. Behind everything we make is an employee who's found that the greatest adventure starts with joining a company that strives to do the right thing.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
At Columbia Sportswear Company (CSC), we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. CSC believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.