Senior Product Designer
Senior Product Designer
Yellow Box is a women’s fashion footwear brand focused on fun, on-trend styling with quality comfort in mind. With 25+ years in the footwear industry the brand continues to evolve with modern fashion and trends.
Yellow Box is looking for an experienced footwear designer who is passionate about women’s fashion and knowledgeable in shoe design. This creative possesses an intuitive eye for adapting fashion trends for the Yellow Box customer. They approach design with a creative and analytical mindset in order to 1) create fresh and commercially viable products, 2) to innovate and improve product quality, and 3) capture the Yellow Box identity while pushing the brand forward.
Reports to: Creative Director
- Work under creative guidance of the Creative Director and in collaboration with Design Team members to conceptualize the product lines for each season, which includes but is not limited to: updating core products, adapting current trends, and innovating on new product ideas.
- Work closely with the Creative Director and Design Team members to develop all footwear collections.
- Lead Design Team seasonal development: initiate, delegate tasks, follow through on deliverables and timelines.
- Create styles and follow through development from design, prototyping, to final product, while adhering to company requirements for CAD sketches and technical specs.
- Communicate clearly and frequently with agents to request, prototype, revise, and finalize samples according to important collection deadlines.
- Work with various departments to coordinate any needed product design changes, merchandising goals, and necessary deadlines.
- Continually research women’s footwear and fashion trends while staying on-top of macro industry design trends.
- Passion for women’s fashion and footwear design.
- Has an intuitive eye for adapting trends into commercially viable products.
- Is thoughtful, creative and intentional in their approach to design.
- Strong instinctive ability to translate trends into marketable designs appropriate to different demographics and aesthetics.
- A highly organized leader who can coordinate project timelines and execute goals.
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills, necessary for inter department communication and communication with external agents and vendors.
- An adaptable and quick learner who is flexible to changes in business needs.
- Capable of multitasking and prioritizing multiple project timelines and competing priorities.
- A proactive personality and analytical mindset that continually assesses strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for both personal tasks and business needs.
- A self-learner and resourceful self-starter that looks for new ideas to innovate.
- A creative problem solver that optimizes personal and team workflows to improve efficiency, quality, and clarity.
- 5+ years of experience in footwear design, (women’s footwear strongly preferred).
- 7+ years of full-time working experience (in fashion or related industry required).
- A relevant degree, certificate, or educational training in footwear design or related field.
- Knowledgeable of and experienced with footwear design, techniques, materials, and color.
- Shoe construction and engineering knowledge required, including outsole construction, last making, material development, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with designing all categories of women’s footwear.
- Experience and full understanding of the product design process, technical design, and development from inception through production.
- Experience working with and in global factories.
- Has a high level understanding of creating commercially viable product.
- Exceptional attention to detail, accuracy, and an eye for quality.
- Uses knowledge of manufacturing processes and materials to inform their design choices.
- Has a keen understanding of footwear engineering and fitting.
- Advanced proficiency with Illustrator.
- Proficient in Photoshop.
- Capable of traveling domestically and internationally when required.
- A positive collaborator flexible to making design changes when needed, changes according to business needs and under creative guidance.
Not Required But Beneficial Experience
- Associates of Arts, or Bachelor’s degree in Footwear, Accessories, Product, Industrial or Fashion Design strongly preferred.
- Hardware and jewelry design experience is a plus.
- Experience with 3D design is a plus.
- Print and pattern making is a plus.
- Illustrative hand sketching is a plus.