*Please note we are currently located in Commerce, CA however we are planning to move to Tustin, CA in the Winter.
The Sr. Buyer will be responsible to drive sales growth with exciting deals, new re-orderable items and brand name closeout merchandise while maintaining appropriate inventory turns and gross margin levels.
- Demonstrate excellence and discipline throughout the buying process (negotiations, work ethic, standards of behavior)
- Drive departmental ownership and P&L mentality for product purchased without losing the gut instinct
- Become a key participant and core team member for implementation of the merchandising system
- Drive store level merchandising for your categories (end-cap directives, register program, signage…)
- Constantly drive optimal pricing / service level combination for your categories (buy direct, continue to negotiate, plan substitutes for price increases, always have and continue to find new sources, know your categories…)
- Develop relationships with and ensure we are “Dug in” with all major manufacturers in your categories.
- Effectively buy for multiple regions
- Key decision maker for buying decisions
- Participate in major trade shows
- Identify and build relationships with new vendors to continue to deliver exciting merchandise at the right price in the right place at the right time (re-orderable)
- Become a category expert (shop new markets and competitors to source new ideas/products)
- Work with the import and product development departments to drive improved values, margins, improved packaging and other exciting products
- Gain insight and develop strong understanding of our customer base for your categories in each relevant region
- Identify and stay ahead of trends
- Assess profitability and optimize mix of Branded and Private label products for your categories
- Rationalize duplicate or nonproductive SKU’s in your categories and replace with more productive SKU’s
- Build multiple profiles to improve merchandising and purchasing (ex. Holiday, summer, baking, spring cleaning, baseball/football season, super bowl…)
- Ensure your categories have key items and offer appropriate selection and value to the consumer
- Assess and ensure participation in critical subcategories
- Identify and implement new sub-categories as appropriate (ex. Scrapbook)
- Ability to network and cultivate relationships.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements (Prop 65, FDA, USDA…)
- Data management/Analytical aptitude (profitability, SKU rationalization, OOS management, KPI’s)
- Abide to the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics Policy.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls as applicable to your function within the organization
Minimum Required Experience/ Skills/Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- 10+ years of Diverse Purchasing experience
- Intuitive Merchandising Sense and Merchandising experience
- Understanding category management and inventory management
- Merchandising system experience
- Experience with Closeouts or other Opportunity Buys
- Experience in designing and going live with a CMS
- Sales, imports and allocation experience
- Category Management and Inventory Management experience
Preferred Experience/ Skills/Knowledge: (Please List)
- Experience in a retail or other multi-unit environment
Customer Focus, Action Oriented, Resilient
Salary: Starting at $135,000 (salary is based on experience, education, and qualifications.)
99 Cents Only Stores, LLC operates nearly 400 stores in California, Texas, Arizona, and Nevada, and employs over 16,000 individuals proudly serving their communities! 99 Cents Only Stores, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.