We invite you to be part of our team of trailblazers dedicated to helping people discover and enjoy the outside. Come join us. Because on the inside we’re all outsiders. And if it’s outside, we’re all in.
L.L.Bean is currently searching for a Temporary Sr. Designer to join the Merchandising team located in Freeport, Maine.
Position Purpose: The Senior Designer conducts and may lead the work of the Design area at L.L. Bean, overseeing or managing a medium-large size category. Design is responsible for the product aesthetic for all product categories (Core & Signature). Key accountabilities include: 1) Creating product aesthetic inclusive of color, pattern, and silhouette. 2) Partnering with Product Developers and Corporate Merchants in conducting market research to evaluate competitive set, identify seasonal trends, and decide on seasonal concept direction. 3) Collaborating with Product Development to select fabric color and trims & relate them to the product design, function, and silhouette. 4) Creating seasonal corporate color palettes and ensuring on-brand, commercial color direction and color compositions. 5) Creating and designing silhouette, silhouette direction and garment styling; collaborating with Corporate Merchants to recommend fit block to TD. 6) Creating and deciding on brand appropriate / viable surface pattern and print direction.
Strategy (Product Aesthetic, Seasonal Concept Direction, Product Strategy)
- Builds and creates seasonal concept and mood boards to establish and identify key looks, trends, concepts, color, fabric, trim and silhouette direction (or oversees execution by assistant).
- Identifies and communicates seasonal color palettes.
- Creation of corporate seasonal design themes – including silhouette, print, pattern and graphic direction. Ensures cohesive approach across multiple categories if applicable.
- Creation of seasonal trend direction, seasonal trend presentation, seasonal trend and vendor decks.
- Ensures consistency of the highest level of design across all products and categories.
- Researches and develops brand appropriate trends and product ideas.
- Conduct research on market and competitive brands - domestic travel for inspiration and trade shows (NY Spin Expo/Premier Vision/Print Source).
- May travel internationally for R&D (Ispo/Stockholm, etc.) - - -Travel to Asia to meet with mills and vendors for research and product development and to ensure all product is commercialized to the very highest standards.
- Works with CM (Corporate Merchandise) Managers/DMM to ensure viability of products and product opportunity fills need within the assortment.
- Selects fabric direction for hand feel, drape aesthetic and partners closely with Product Developers to ensure vision of design, margin and target price is met.
- Meets with color and trend services to establish seasonal concept and trends.
- Meets with print and pattern vendors to establish seasonal surface pattern direction.
- Applies knowledge and expertise to ensure consistency and cohesiveness of line through perfect pairings and cohesive look of the collection and key looks.
- Introduces new and on brand silhouettes and styling details every season.
- Works with PD partners to select all materials and works with lab to ensure trim passes testing (or oversees the selection of trims by others.)
- Works with graphics department to instigate graphic and surface pattern direction.
- Present fresh and commercial color and pattern for key items and relist programs to ensure they look fresh and commercial each season.
- Partners primarily with CM Managers on: key product ideas to maximize potential of the assortment, lead the direction of the line / Category, and collaborates to position product lifestyle, wearing occasion and Fit Bucket.
- Communicates with mills and vendors to ensure fabric and all surface pattern is executed to the very highest standard or oversees others' communication.
- Send out color cards and approve lab dips, strike offs, etc.
- Develop print/pattern/graphics packages for product and hangtags/packaging.
- Present sketches and proto samples at appropriate check-ins and meetings.
- Create and update an accurate pre-production BOM and CC in Lawson.
- Pitches and calls out repeat with all requirements for patterns and prints.
- Partner with PD (Product Development) to finalize product details with vendors.
- In collaboration with PD, creates comprehensive development spec packages and selects Fit Block suitable for wearing occasion.
- Ensures robust hand off to Technical Design.
- Attends all fittings to provide relevant feedback regarding fit and styling. - Ensure integrity of design aesthetic and conformance to selected fit block suitable for wearing occasion.
- Attends Retail walkthroughs to ensure retail presentation meets design intent.
- Prepares and builds rigs and mannequins for all relevant meetings to clearly show seasonal direction and product ideas or oversees the meeting preparation. - Ensures all milestones are achieved and successful. Attends to align on key M2M strategies, initiatives & actions.
4-Year Bachelor’s Degree
Years of Experience: 10+ Years
Skills And Qualifications
MS Office, Proficient in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Flex PLM, and CLO3D experience preferred.
Facilitation and Communication
- Facilitates cross functional communications. Presents ideas; influences others. Solicits input and drives decisions.
- Verbal: Translates the big picture into clear, compelling goals and expected outcomes. Communicates appropriately for the message and audience, including frequent informal, timely, two-way communication.
- Written: Produces excellent presentation material that enhances ability of audience to understand and act upon information. Proactively leverages written communications to keep others informed.
- Builds collaborative relationships to support win-win outcomes. Sought out as a trusted expert. Role model in the department. Effectively advocates for ideas but also remains open to others. Demonstrates high discretion and accountability.
- Team, Cross-functional partners, Internal/External Vendors, Senior Leadership.
- Sought out as a mentor; may coach and supervise others, i.e. interns, Asst/Assoc/Designer I.
If you care about the outdoors, joining L.L.Bean is a great way to feel good about what you do. Our benefits package makes a good thing even better, with programs and perks designed to support your health and financial goals. Plus, maintaining a healthy work-life balance and re-charging outside are all part of the plan. Because, when it comes to the outside—we’re all in. Visit llbeancareers.com to learn more.
Being outside brings out the best in us, no matter where we come from or what we believe. At L.L.Bean, we value individual differences and encourage our co-workers to be themselves – because the uniqueness of each individual makes L.L.Bean better.