Sr. Designer Knits – Women’s Sportswear
California Applicants, please click here to review the CCPA notice.
LIVE THE ISLAND LIFE
Tommy Bahama is looking for creative, diverse, and energetic people to help us live the island life! Tommy Bahama has grown to include both men’s and women’s apparel, home and beach goods, and a thriving restaurant and bar business. Everything that bears the Tommy Bahama name is created with an unwavering eye towards quality. More than ever, our focus is on taking our guests someplace great — through exceptional service, upscale products, and delicious food and drinks. Maintaining our unique point of view requires a diverse team that includes apparel designers, e-commerce and technology experts, manufacturing and operations, and, of course, retail and hospitality professionals. We would love to have you share your talents with us!
SET THE COURSE
To create a line of apparel that is attractive to the Tommy Bahama guest and to work with a team of designers and other staff to ensure the quality of the product is world-class. Women’s Sr. Designer Knits will work closely with the V.P Women’s Sportswear, Women’s Knits Team and Cross Functional Team to develop a balanced assortment for cut and sew knits categories. The Women’s Sr. Designer will also be responsible for managing the design process from concept to completion while partnering with the V.P. Women’s Sportswear to ensure alignment on priorities and direction.
BE THE ISLAND GUIDE
- Develops a category(s) of the Tommy Bahama line each season (color, styling, print and fabric development).
- Focused trend research to Tommy Bahama identity, seasonal trend analysis expected.
- Researches fabric trends and works collaboratively with Materials Team to identify seasonal and annual needs for the category and product aesthetic, driving into targeted costs.
- Develops computer coloration and fabrication.
- Develops sketches for garment styling, driving into targeted costs.
- Develops design elements of garment Tech Pack – including BOM, Design Sketches and Sketch Details.
- Orders samples, or approves prepared sample order from Associate Designer or Assistant Designer, in collaboration with Materials Team.
- Checks seasonal sales samples with Associate Designers or Assistant Designers for adherence to design aesthetic, color, fit expression, fabric.
- Approves final seasonal sales samples for aesthetic, color, fit expression, fabric, trim.
- Works with Associate Designers or Assistant Designers to ensure cohesive line, and best quality product available.
- Works on development fittings to articulate the design aesthetic, trim selections and validate fabric selection.
- Researches and develops engineered layouts for print, seasonal yarn dyes, seasonal embroidery and graphics layouts, and seasonal trims.
- Monitors Associate Designer or Assistant Designer workflow, as assigned.
- Manages assigned category deliverables to Company Development Calendar on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Presents product category to merchants, sales and other company audiences at milestone meetings and sales launches.
- Manages assigned category deliverables for seasonal line lists, product knowledge and fabric selling features.
- Prioritize workloads.
- Balance tight timelines for two overlapping development seasons.
- Other duties as required and that may occasionally be necessary to support the business.
- Degree in Fashion Design.
- 7+ years experience in women’s design (casual sportswear background preferred).
- Previous experience with cut & sew knits.
- Highly skilled in design and conceptual functions.
- Outstanding computer skills, experienced in Adobe Suite, Photoshop, InDesign.
- Proven experience in the apparel design process from concept to product.
- Excellent sense of style, color and ability to conceptualize a collection.
- Strong ability to research and shop the markets to identify fashion trends, including relevant fabric shows.
- Confidence to make decisions in order to facilitate design/production process.
- Knowledge and ability to assess production standards, timelines, and quality of garments being produced.
- Articulate and able to convey product inspiration and direction to team members and merchants.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to adhere to tight development calendars.
- Must be an excellent communicator, presenter and have exceptional follow-up skills.
- Ability to interact and partner with all levels of management. Ability to follow through on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work under tight timelines while managing multiple priorities.
- Ability to observe, learn, and incorporate new ideas quickly.
- Ability to travel occasionally to Int’l Vendors, for Market research domestically and to visit Tommy Bahama retail stores.
Mahalo (thank you) for your interest in Tommy Bahama!
Tommy Bahama participates in E-Verify. Details in English and Spanish. Right to Work Statement in English and Spanish.