Sr Designer - Outerwear
When our founders established the Bay as our base back in 1993, Mountain Hardwear was destined for a life of play. They wanted to make equipment and apparel that climbers and mountaineers could depend on—but they wanted to have fun doing it, too. We bring the same stoke we have in the mountains to the drawing board. We express our brand through climbing, but more importantly, through the culture that we as climbers, riders, artists, innovators, movers, shakers—(insert your thing here) create.
Today, Mountain Hardwear is seeking a Senior Designer. You’re already one of us. So why not just become one of us?About The Position
Mountain Hardwear is seeking a Senior Designer to provide leadership and creative direction to our Women's Outerwear category. This person will work closely with the Product Creation Team to design products on a worldwide basis, initiate new product concepts to meet the needs of our consumers, and manage the design team in addressing modifications on carryover products.How You’ll Make a Difference
- Lead the design team with a focus on continuously providing innovative, best in class product design solutions.
- Provides best in class design packages which include sketches, illustrations of construction details, and multiple product views.
- Provides leadership to the design team through mentoring, coaching, and championing innovation in products and processes.
- Uses market research, industry experience, knowledge of the Mountain Hardwear consumer, and brand positioning, to provide a honed product feedback filter across the product division.
- Provides design/concept boards to communicate design and color direction.
- Presents category products and design/merchandising information during key meetings and line presentations.
- Participates in the prototype process for assigned category(s). Includes initiating sample requests by working closely with the Associate Designer and Product Developer(s), reviewing samples, and directing revisions as needed throughout the development cycle.
- Attends fit sessions and categorical team meetings as needed to facilitate process, revisions, and finalization of products.
- Works closely with cross-functional teams such as Materials Research to define new materials to research and source, Product Graphics to communicate seasonal product themes and identify product graphic needs per style, and Sourcing to create styles that hit target costs, and trims developer to propose trims, graphic applications, prints and/or patterns (if applicable), and label designs.
- Passionate about the outdoors, camping, hiking, and climbing.
- Knowledgeable about apparel design.
- Excited about creativity, collaboration, and exploration.
- Proactive with strong attention to detail and work ethic.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Fashion, Industrial Design or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ years garment design/development experience in the apparel industry with progressively responsible experience for category creativity, development, and design.
- Experience in Women's category preferred
- Strong ability to sketch and quickly communicate ideas in a visual format.
- Experience successfully leading a design team and/or providing the creative vision for a product category.
- Proficiency with computer design software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, etc.
- 3D CAD experience and proficiency is a plus.
- Soft goods design sensibility and knowledge of fabric and textiles.
$111,700 - $186,700 Annual
- Pay decisions are determined by multiple factors, including what the market is paying, a candidate’s capabilities and skills, years of experience, and internal equity.
This person will be expected to come onsite 2-3 days a week and on an as needed basis.#Mountainhardwear
Our purpose is to build essential gear for climbers, mountaineers, and outdoor athletes. Mountain Hardwear expedition tents have summited more of the world’s highest peaks than any other brand. This level of technical precision inspires everything we do. Every stitch deliberate, every angle precise, every fabric tested, so that function and comfort are built with intent. Over and over. Mountain Hardwear, Inc., founded in 1993 and based in Richmond, CA, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Columbia Sportswear Company and distributes its products through specialty outdoor retailers in the United States and 34 countries worldwide.This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
Columbia Sportswear is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The Know Your Rights poster is available here: https://www.eeoc.gov/poster The pay transparency policy is available here: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OFCCP/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf Columbia Sportswear is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please notify your recruiter.