Sr. Designer Sweaters
The Senior Designer creates and develops a marketable, Woman’s product line through the vision and illustration of design concepts appropriate for the Talbots customer. The primary function of the position is to innovate and adopt new design ideas on a seasonal basis.
The starting salary range is $120,000 - $140,000.
What We Offer:
- Growth! Here at Talbots our goal is to give you the tools to grow beyond this position and into the next.
- Condensed Work Week! If we have no work obligations, our Life-Work balance approach allows for us to start our weekend at 1pm on Fridays.
- Complete Benefit Package! Our benefits kick off the first day of the month after your start date! Discover more about our full benefits package here. We have competitive time off, including paid time to volunteer within the community.
- Merchandise Discounts! 50% off Talbots and our Haven Well Within brand as well as local business discounts (where applicable)!
- Research global and domestic markets to identify new trends, fabrics and techniques.
- Create and execute innovative design concepts to fill the needs of the line plan and account for departmental development and adoption ratios.
- Ensure product is consistent with market trends while maintaining the Talbots brand integrity and business strategy.
- Executes silhouette, fit and styling direction.
- Drive seasonal framework to ensure creative ideas and business goals are in tandem.
- Set seasonal yarn direction -- work with Fabric R&D on research and development of qualities.
- Oversee an approve execution of all stitches.
- Maintain communication with Product Development, Merchandising and Sourcing teams.
- Present collection at Sketch Presentation and Line Presentation.
- Adhere to cross-functional calendar and attends all meetings as required.
- Prepare, oversee and approve execution of tech packs.
- Remain aware of overall merchandising vision as line is designed.
- Ensure line meets IMU goals, initiate alternate development where necessary.
- Continue to develop and increase understanding of Talbot’s customer.
- People Management.
- Responsible for the selection, development and retention of team members.
- Mentor, coach and counsels direct reports on performance expectations.
- Provides a positive, challenging work environment.
- Key partners include: Product Development, Merchandising, Fabric and Color teams, Technical Design, and Vendors.
- Degree in Fashion Design
- 10+ years experience
- Prior Sweater focused design experience
- Superior time + project management skills; able to shift gears seamlessly + take the ball across the finish line
- Effective communicator with an eye on successfully managing expectations
- Proven ability to communicate + influence diverse level of talent to achieve results
- Strong management skills
- Ability to sketch and execute flats and technical sketches.
- Ability to illustrate or execute ideas in a concept board format.
- Knowledge and experience working in textile and yarn research as it relates to garment development.
- Knowledge and experience working with pattern makers, sample makers, technical designers.
- Knowledge and experience with Illustrator and CAD design. Good written and verbal presentation skills.