Store Design Manager
Founded in 1971 in Somerset, England, today Mulberry is a truly global fashion company and the largest manufacturer of luxury leather goods in the United Kingdom. Across all locations, we are united by our employee values: Be Bold, Be Open, Be Responsible, Be Imaginative.
If these are values you share, we would love you to join our team.
As Store Design Manager you will contribute to the development and completion of the retail store concept design project(s). Plan and prepare for the international implementation and roll out of the store concept design, ensuring that all concept design elements are considered within the design project(s), resolved and documented prior to completion for use by the store design, project management and maintenance teams. Ensure subsequent development to the design, function or specification(s), post-completion, is documented for use by the store design, project management and maintenance team.
Hybrid working applies to this role, meaning you can work 50% of your time from our beautiful office in Kensington and 50% of your time from home.
Role & Responsibilities:
Retail Store Concept Development
· Collaborate with appointed industry consultants, internal departments and stakeholders on the development of the retail store concept design, detailing and prototyping project(s) - bringing practical overlay to the creative concept templates.
· Ensure the store design solution(s) balance commercial, creative, functional and operating considerations, and is fit for purpose.
· Ensure all concept implementation information is documented for roll out and implementation stage.
· Manage the design team resourcing and workload to ensure project deadlines are met.
· Update, set up, implement and oversee standards, policies and procedures.
Store Concept Roll Out & Implementation
· Creation of conceptual design packages for use by the Directors and Head of Store Development during lease negotiations
· Contribute to the preparation and development of the project business case and strategic brief - work closely with senior staff to identify objectives and formulate options; establishing key work priorities for development of design, scheduling and budgeting.
· Establish site, lease, landlord and/ or statutory constraints.
· Collaborate with the project management team to create and develop feasibility studies to support and inform the business case - site information and assessment, planning requirements, brief development, design and construction planning.
· Collaborate on the assembly, briefing and appointment of the project team.
· Review landlord information and design guidance and communicate and record any pertinent issues.
· Create, develop, coordinate and review site specific store layouts, designs, visuals, specifications and schedules - applying the established store design concept templates / criteria. Ensure concept design intent is compliant to regulations and with the Landlord's restrictions / design manual
Responsible for ensuring store designs, layouts and documentation meet the needs and expectations of internal and external partners including regions, Store design, Visual Merchandising, Merchandising, Operations, Security, and IT. Provide clear, effective and timely communication of design intent and ensure all parties have reviewed and approved staged drawings.
Developed Design & Technical Design
· Oversight, direction and review of Design Development whether drawn internally or externally.
· Collaborate on negotiation of contracts and manage responsibilities of the external consultant architects and engineers to ensure they deliver high quality construction documents that comply with architectural and quality standards, meet lease / contractual commitments, building codes / regulations and health and safety regulations, on time and on budget. Assist in timely Construction Administration as needed.
· Produce bid drawings, specifications and schedules, as required.
· Review all preliminary drawings and final drawings from local executive architects and engineers prior to issuing for bid and permit.
· Review bid documents produced by architect or 3rd party consultant, Construction Documents and shop drawings to ensure design intents are fully detailed and engineered for success as to limit RFIs during construction.
· Manage and train external consultants performance to ensure complete coordination and implementation of design standards and intent and provide key performance indicators after project completion to ensure "lessons-learned" and continue to improve the brand experience and the design process.
· Construction documentation - review construction documents, shop drawings and detail designs and ensure the environment is built to the design intent.
· Construction administration - respond to RFIs, onsite issues, vendor and business partner questions
· Collaborate with PMs and GCs to define and resolve site-specific, non-typical design-related issues or significant site changes/field conditions that occur during construction.
· Review, approve and implement drawing, renderings and specification revisions, as required. Ensure records and database is updated accordingly.
Handover, Close Out & In Use
· Direct the coordination of functional design revisions as required
· Participate in and follow through on lessons learned post-completion - ensure that all final close out documents are complete and correct on a timely basis.
· Responsible for the updating of all store concept design and technical databases to be used by the store design and project management teams.
· Create and develop ongoing processes for Value Engineering of prototype designs and records / database maintenance of all prototype drawings.
· Improve and develop processes to increase quality, productivity, efficiency and cost.
Strategic and practical development of non-retail sites
· Collaborate on development projects for offices, factories and warehouse including but not limited to facilities strategic planning, condition surveys / reviews, space planning etc.
· Collaborate on sustainable development issues and play an active role in the delivery of the company's CSR policy.
· Collaborate on development and implementation of
· Provide advice and expertise to facilities site technicians and store maintenance managers, as required.
· Office space planning.
Records and Database Management
· Develop, implement and maintain records management standards for all Real Estate departments and functions to ensure consistency of information retention, database structure, and retrieval.
· Ability to work with in a dynamic and fast paced design team.
· Understand and demonstrate the Mulberry employee values and behaviours: Be Bold, Be Imaginative, Be Open, Be Responsible
· Support Mulberry to deliver an inclusive culture, through behaving in a way that is open-minded and respectful towards others, and understanding that your views, opinions and experiences may not always be shared by your colleagues.
· Act as an ambassador for Mulberry and communicate positively about the brand.
Skills and Experience Required:
· Fully Qualified Part-III Architect and/or Senior Architectural Designer, with preferably at least 3 years post qualification experience in the UK in the retail sector.
· Strong technical experience in retail construction projects, the planning and construction process and retail roll-out strategies.
· Familiar with building systems, codes, construction materials and methods of construction.
· Experience of developing a store concept will be an advantage.
· Experience of detailing or making joinery/furniture will be an advantage.
· Knowledge in development of site plans, building plans, preliminary layouts, fixture plans, construction documents, and specifications.
· Strong design, space planning and presentation skills balanced with financial and business acumen.
· Demonstrable project delivery of work full-cycle from brief, presentation, concepts, visuals, production and delivery.
· Familiar with RIBA Plan of Work.
· Experienced and proficient with using AutoCAD LT and Sketch Up Pro.
· Efficient and effective time management skills.
· Ability to prioritise and concurrently lead and service multiple projects of varied scope and type.
· Ability to work independently, as well as part of a larger team, and meet deadlines.
· Exceptional computer literacy.
· Analytical with strong problem-solving abilities and creative resolution skills.
· Ability to work well under pressure, remain organised and pay attention to detail while consistently meeting time sensitive deadlines.
· Customer service oriented abilities to meet the needs of various in-house and external business partners.
· Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to interface effectively with individuals at various levels.
· Ability to foster teamwork among diverse groups and disciplines. Interacts well, and maintains effective communication, with other disciplines and clients in a manner that builds productive relationships.
· Technical ability to lead and manage a complex network of external consultants and vendors to ensure seamless integration.
· Identifies and clearly communicates key responsibilities, best practices and expectations to ensure the success of the immediate team of direct reports.
· Provides effective and timely direction and feedback on performance and project work.
· Responsible for the set up and implementation of standards, policies and procedures for which the team will follow as it relates to management and production of projects, and drive perpetual improvement from lessons learned.
· Provide technical guidance to junior staff.