Summer 2023 Corporate Internship Program - Merchandising
Macy's is proudly America's Department Store. Customers come to us for fashion, value, and high-quality products. Macy's is also known for our love of celebration and giving back to our communities. There's a reason we've been around for 160 years. Now is an exciting time to join Macy's. The face of retail is changing, and change requires innovation. We have a history of re-invention and are always looking forward.
Macy's offers recent college graduates a concentrated mix of hands-on experience, education, and encouragement. We will help you build upon what you learned in college to create a bright career future. As a Macy's colleague, you'll have endless possibilities to grow your career while finding meaningful ways to make a difference. So, come join us and share your unique contribution. You'll make an impact you, and everyone else can be proud of.
For us, it's more than just a job, we are all part of the Macy's family. From stores to call centers. From offices to warehouses. Wherever you may be working, you are important to our success. We're all in this together!
Job descriptionJob Overview:
The Macy's 8-week summer internship program in Merchandising provides exposure to consumer products, business strategies, and the latest trends for Macy's brand offerings. The Merchandising team maximize sales and gross margin for each product category by identifying, procuring, and assorting the products that their customer demands.
There are 2 exciting functions within the Macy's Merchandising Summer Internship: Buying and Pricing Strategy. Based on your skillset and interest, you will be placed in one of these two functions. However, throughout the program, you will learn about and get exposure to all roles within Merchandising, Product Development, Marketing and Supply Chain. This will help you gain a holistic understanding of how a retail business is developed and managed.
Macy's summer internship program provides interns with a hands-on and in-depth understanding of a core business function in retail. Interns have opportunities to directly impact the business as a key part of a team and by sharing new ideas. Macy's interns experience everything our culture has to offer through exposures to senior leaders, professional development workshops, and networking opportunities. The internship program may lead to an opportunity to work full-time with Macy's in our early careers program after graduation. This internship program will be held in Macy's New York, New York Corporate offices and will begin in June.
The Pricing team is responsible for driving business priorities and executing pricing strategies to drive both digital and in-store demand. The position requires strong business acumen, analytical skills, and an understanding of site merchandising.
Pricing Strategy - Essential Functions:
- Receive professional development through a combination of hands-on learning, structured workshops, and collaborative projects
- Build relationships with other interns, business leaders, and team colleagues
- Support the divisional digital and in-store pricing strategies and execution using both the PAM tool and Stella
- Attend weekly total team business meetings to discuss markdowns, inventory, and pricing executions
- Execute permanent markdowns for both stores and macys.com using system tools
- Drive continuous process improvement through ongoing identification & resolution of digital and store pricing challenges & opportunities
- Aptitude to function within deadlines, while working both independently and as part of a team
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
ProfileQualifications and Competencies:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Junior status (rising Senior at the time of the internship), pursuing a Bachelor's degree with strong academic performance
- Minimum 3.0 GPA preferred
- All majors will be considered for this opportunity
- Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to influence others. Strong storytelling and presentation skills
- Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as reports and procedure manuals
- Must have excellent mathematical skills.
- Ability to apply concepts of profitability and statistical inference to practical situations
- Readily grasp numerical concepts and interpret financial information accurately
- Ability to utilize retail math skills to analyze and drive business
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize broad workload to meet deadlines in a challenging, fast-paced environment
- Ability to think through problems and apply strategies to solve
- Ability to multitask and collaborate cross functionally with multiple internal and external business partners
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong trend and pattern recognition skills
- Basic understanding of financial performance metrics and assortment planning
- Proficient in Microsoft Office - advanced proficiency in Excel (vlookup, pivot tables, macros, advanced formulas, etc.) is a plus
- Run and interpret reports and operate system tools as assigned by supervisor
- Demonstrated leadership and team-building abilities
- Ability to streamline processes
- Exhibits high standards and accountability; takes pride in accuracy
- High aptitude; process information quickly with ability to offer solutions to challenges with strong decision making skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage across all levels
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.
- May require working with multiple computer screens and programs simultaneously for extended periods of time.
- May Involve, reaching stooping, kneeling or crouching
- Frequently lift/move up to 10 lbs.