Technical Apparel Designer
True North Gear is a growing Protective Gear & Clothing company located in Seattle Washington. We are seeking aTechnical Apparel Designer.This individual will lead the new product design effort for Flame Resistant workwear clothing and accessories.
You need to be effective in the project management of a diverse group of deliverables that support the Product Development team and company. You must enjoy having a variety of responsibilities and be able to make confident decisions and proactively solve problems with minimal oversight. The core purpose for every True North employee is to create the “Joy of a well-made thing” by making protective clothing that provides great satisfaction to our customers.
This position offers the opportunity to challenge yourself and see your contributions have positive impact on the women and men that put their lives on the line to protect and serve our communities. Please ensure that your background and qualifications are well-aligned before applying.
What we do:
True North Gear designs and makes high-performance flame-resistant clothing and gear that protects and saves lives.
Here’s some of what you’ll do if hired for the Technical Product Designer role:
You will be responsible for all the key tasks associated with product design including: Creating garment sketches/drawings; interacting with our customers to gain insight into market design needs; sewing prototype samples; creating Product Tech Packs, Garment Patterns, Bill of Materials, Product labels and Embellishments. You will work closely with Manufacturing to ensure that newly developed garments are designed for efficient sewing.
What you’ll need to bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Product Design and six years of relevant work experience.
- Proficiency in new product sketch and drawing creation.
- Proficiency in sewing, pattern development, garment grading and building Tech Packs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word).
- Adept in using design tools like Optitex or Gerber, and Adobe Illustrator
- Able to be physically on-site/in-office 4 days per week and to drive locally to company contractor sites
- Able to stand and move around a cutting table and handle materials weighing as much as forty pounds.
- Able to provide proof of full vaccination status against COVID-19 virus
- Goal-oriented pro-active self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to be flexible and responsive to changing priorities.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and exceptional customer service orientation.
- Deep sense of ownership and passion for creating joy for the customer.
- Excellent project management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, as well as superb organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Eagerness to learn new skills and take on new tasks to grow in this role .
- Team-orientation with a commitment to the success of all.
Nice to Haves
- Background in Flame Resistant or Protective Clothing development
- Background in Pack & Gear development
Still reading? Then we think you should apply!
In addition to a positive and flexible work culture, we attract, retain, and motivate exceptional people with an equitable and competitive compensation package. The anticipated hiring range for this exempt position is$70,000to$85,000. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes 80% paid medical/dental/vision coverage for employees, a 401k retirement plan with match, generous and flexible paid time off, and support for ongoing professional development.
For the safety of our employees and the vendors we work with, and the public we service, True North Gear has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and all employees are required to show proof of vaccination.
True North Gear is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law. We welcome all candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who have the skills and are passionate about our work.