Our aim is to design the most practical, most wearable item in your wardrobe. We're a small (but growing) team located in Portland, OR. When we're not spreading our love of wool, we're changing the way people think about clothing—less is more. When a need arises, buy quality over quantity. We're experiencing rapid growth and have scaled our full-time team from four to fourteen in the last two years. Our growth is an opportunity for your growth.
Sister brands wool& and Wool&Prince are seeking a Technical Designer. This position would mainly be responsible for Sample Tracking/Measuring, Trim and Packaging Development, and maintaining PLM updates. You would be working alongside the Design Director, Development Director, and another Technical Designer developing merino wool lifestyle apparel for Women, Men, and some Kids/Baby products.
- Track and manage product development according to T&A calendar for a collection of ~150 styles for men’s, women’s, kid’s and baby apparel
- Lead daily communication with vendors to ensure style production timelines are met
- Identify potential construction, quality and lead time issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity
- Lead fit sessions and mentor junior designers by evaluating potential pattern, construction, grading, and costing issues and make suggestions for improvement.
- Measure and prepare protos for bi-weekly fit sessions.
- Create and maintain tech pack, sample comments, sketches, and pattern revisions
- Partner in development of knit and woven block library
- Set up/maintain block and construction detail libraries in Backbone PLM
- Create and maintain all Packaging materials and instructions in collaboration with internal warehouse and graphic designer
- Maintain and organize physical samples in office library
- Travel to factories to assess quality and production hurdles
- Identify and solve problems with a collaborative, hands-on approach
- Update and maintain technical design portion of Vendor manual as needed
- Communicate daily with internal and external partners to achieve timely development goals, including management of related contract projects.
- Bachelors or Associates Degree in Apparel Design or related field
- 8+ years of relevant Apparel experience.
- Proficient in PLM, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Excel, Google Suite. Optitex or 2D/3D pattern software is a plus.
- Must have technical knowledge of fit and apparel construction techniques in cut and sew knits and wovens, ideally with Men’s, Misses and Plus Sizes (Kids/Baby/Accessories is a plus)
- Expert technical knowledge of textiles, pattern alterations, blocks, and grading is a plus.
- You are a people person and team player, able to contribute positively to team dynamic.
- Detail oriented, highly motivated self-starter with the ability to think strategically and problem solve creatively.
- Able to prioritize workload and make decisions efficiently under pressure.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Positive, transparent, inclusive
- Question assumptions.
- Experiment often.
- Fail fast and cheap.
- Learn and improve.
- Well done is better than well said.
- Competitive salaries
- Simple IRA Retirement
- Flexible work hours
- Fun start-up work environment
How to Apply:
- Send the following documents to [email protected]:
- Cover letter
- Subject: "FIRST LAST Technical Designer"