Do you take pride in your technical skills in the development of apparel products? Do you get excited about working on a team that consistently delivers detailed, quality results? Do you feel good when you check things off your “to-do list”?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, keep reading because the Technical Designer position at Edwards may be for you. Edwards is a premier manufacturer and distributor of quality image apparel items for corporate, career, and casual markets. Edwards operates with the customer at the center of everything they do and they are dedicated to providing creative solutions and meeting customer expectations.
The Technical Designer is critical to execute the development of new/improved product by defining style, fit and measurements, material and trims, color, and all other characteristics, and then working with vendor to approve and move into production according to established time lines.
Here’s what you can expect in the way of specific job responsibilities as well as time allocation estimates:
Product/Technical Development (100%)
- Creates complete and detailed technical specifications for all new products in Product Lifecyle Management (PLM) software; including graded measurement specs, construction details, bill of material, and packaging information
- Executes technical sketches with Adobe Illustrator according to set standards
- Partners with Product Integrity to ensure all styles are tested for performance and physical characteristics
- Efficiently manages pre-production and TOP approval of materials (fabric, trim, labels, etc.), product construction, dimensions and fit, colors and packaging; coordinates with vendors to meet quality and timeline goals
- Provides supportive and helpful communication to external parties to keep them informed as needed on new/modified styles and approval status; provides status updates to manager accordingly
- Executes and maintains fit and quality consistency in all product categories.
- Accurately enters timing and action into Product Lifecyle Management (PLM) software for analysis
- Manages pattern data and measurement information in CAD system
- Methodically determines critical dimensions of design for subsequent production
- Performs fit sessions with Merchandising on body forms and live models
- Systematically photographs and analyzes materials (garment, trim, fabric, labels, buttons, etc.) to ensure product quality and consistency
- Manages color through use of Spectrophotometer and light booth to evaluate color and color consistency
- Regularly enters, edits product information to keep specifications updated
To be successful in this role, you need to have the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities:
- BS degree in Textile & Apparel or similar preferred; or product development internship and completed Textile & Apparel courses
- 2+ years apparel product development or design experience
- Strong working knowledge of fabrics, garment construction, fit and pattern development
- Experience with color management tools (hardware and software); including CAD, Illustrator or similar software
- Highly organized, analytical and detail oriented professional
- Strong technical, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritize work and deliver results with excellent follow-through
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Respect for confidentiality practices
Our ideal Technical Designer would carry out their responsibilities while displaying the following key behavioral competencies:
- Precision Result Focused– Focused on achieving accurate development of product to ensure product expectations are met according to established criteria.
- Systematic Attentiveness– Thoroughly ensures all tasks are completed on time and without error utilizing current processes and procedures; including technology.
- Technical Problem Solver– Effectively and consistently problem solve various product development issues to ensure established production time lines are met.
- Clear Communication– Communication is helpful, succinct and factual, based on product development information that is needed by customers (internal and external). Promptly provides information to stakeholders related to product development issues.