We are seekinga Technical Designer to join the Orvis Team! Remote candidates will be considered however there will be times when you are required to travel to the Orvis office in Sunderland, Vermont.
Working directly with the Product Design & Development and Technical Design Teams, the Technical Designer position requires a working knowledge of fit, patterning, grading and garment construction. The candidate will be generating technical specification packages for garment development and manufacture in overseas factories. Working in a fast-paced environment, candidate must be self-motivated, highly organized and able to present information written and verbally in a clear and concise manner. They must be collaborative, open-minded to new ideas while maintaining focus on timelines and calendar due dates.
For more than 160 years the Orvis name has stood for outdoor traditions, quality, and customer satisfaction. At Orvis, we do not sell what we, ourselves, would not be proud to own or give as a gift. Our associates deserve to be proud of our service and our products, and we rely on every associate to apply our “pride of ownership” credo to drive our quality. “Good enough” is not our standard. We need to strive for perfection in our products and customer service, to propel our growth and the pride that will fuel our team.
This position reports directly to the Senior Manager of Technical Design and has no direct reports. Position interfaces on a daily or routine basis with Product Designers/Developers, External Vendors, other Technical Designers, Sample Room Coordinator, Sourcing and Quality Assurance.
- Partner with Product Design & Development to create technical design packages which include AI sketches, stitching details, BOM, measurement specifications and grading.
- Ensure that the garments produced meet the strictest of quality requirements and that all general specifications and comments are met.
- Measure and compare all samples (1st through to approved) to tech pack details.
- Orchestrate fit review, evaluate garment fit on live model and mannequin, write-up fit corrections, styling changes and measurement requirements.
- Recognize and correct problems associated with returning goods to identify whether the problem is fit, fabric, cut, trim, quality, sizing, etc.
- General filing and department administrative tasks as they pertain to organizing product.
- Strong knowledge of garment fit and construction for knits, wovens and sweaters for men’s and women’s clothing.
- Five years minimum industry experience with strong pattern making skills.
- Detail oriented, organized with a high level of verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of judgement and independent thinking.
- Proven track record of working as a supportive team member.
- Ability to help strengthen the total team efforts through team contributions and team building characteristics.
- Computer literacy a must: Adobe Illustrator, Excel, SmartSheet, Word, AS400, Outlook and TEAMS.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Orvis Company associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers’ expectations – both internal and external. The Orvis Company and our associates are committed to giving back to our communities and protecting nature.
In 1856, Charles Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering the finest fly fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, along with our world famous fly-fishing gear, Orvis offers distinctive clothing, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each item is rooted in our heritage of authenticity and the outdoors, and is backed with a no-questions-asked guarantee. As the longest-running mail order business in the United States, and with our flagship retail store located in the same Vermont village as the original store since 1856, we offer experience and knowledge that no other retail company can. Each day we strive to apply what we know and learn to bring our customers even better service and products tomorrow.
Orvis is headquartered in beautiful Southwestern Vermont with major operations in Roanoke, Virginia and the U.K. We firmly believe that the only way for Orvis to achieve its vision to be the most respected lifestyle brand in America, is to have a company culture that is supportive and inspiring to the individuals that will get us there.