Technical Designer, Children's Knits
Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) is a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in five categories: apparel, accessories, home, fragrances, and hospitality. For more than 50 years, Ralph Lauren's reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets. The Company's brand names, which include Ralph Lauren, Ralph Lauren Collection, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Polo Ralph Lauren, Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph Lauren Children, Chaps, among others, constitute one of the world's most widely recognized families of consumer brands.
At Ralph Lauren, we unite and inspire the communities within our company as well as those in which we serve by amplifying voices and perspectives to create a culture of belonging, ensuring inclusion, and fairness for all. We foster a culture of inclusion through: Talent, Education & Communication, Employee Groups and Celebration.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon proof of full COVID 19 vaccinations upon hire. Accommodations due to medical or religious reasons will be evaluated in compliance with the law.
The Technical Designer isis Technical Designer is responsible and accountable for fitting garments and ensuring the RL standard for fit is is set for suppliers to be compliant to the design intent of each style. The garments that they fit with Design are new fits only while anniversary fits are executed through the offshore offices Technical Design Team. They are accountable for ensuring all tools are created, maintained, and distributed to enable a “Closer to Needle Point” strategy. The Technical Designer needs strong communication and organizational skills as well as a strong attention to detail.
They Technical Designer is responsible for processing PP Approvals, assigned to them by the Sr. Tech Designer ensuring construction standards are met globally, and owning, digital product development. .
This position also owns digital product development, see bullet points under roles and responsibilities.
The Technical Designer reports to the Tech Design Manager. -
- Creates an accurate global communication tree every season and distributes to all key stakeholders to ensure alignment on who should be receives style information for seasonal hand off meetings and offshore tech pack creation.
- Ensures all tools (labelling combo kits, fold manuals, block body spreadsheets, etc.…) are created and distributed in a timely fashion to compliment tech pack creations being done offshore according to calendar.
- Prepares all proto garments and fit samples for review / fitting by the offshore Technical Designer. Provides feedback to the offshore Technical Design and/or Supplier as appropriate. Attends seasonal hindsight meetings with the offshore Technical Design Team.
- Reviews all prototype garments with Design for details and fit (as needed Ensures all fit comments are entered into PLM with product pictures.
- Drives the supplier calibration and certification process for supplier driven fit approvals in partnership with Closer to Needle Point leadership
- Ensures the offshore technical design team and the quality assurance team have all the tools they need to approve pre-production samples and/or 3D images.
- This position requires the addition of detail into design sketches as needed via the use of Adobe Illustrator
- Ensures all grade rules are correct in the system to produce actual product that is to compliance.
- Collaborates with the offshore technical design team to ensure the correct points of measure are used in the tech packs creating one universal global way of working
- Partners with the off-shore Technical Designer to help with tech pack creation each season;
- Attends virtual fittings as needed, and partners with a global team for fittings.
- Ensures all tracking reports are completed on time and accurately to enable leadership to aggregate totals as needed.
- Digital Product Creation:
- Requesting .dxf files and ensuring they are ready to be stitched up in BrowzWear.
- Receiving and reviewing / confirming .dxf files.
- Stitching up digital asset from .dxf files.
- Coordination with PMT to ensure Design has necessary tools (digital assets) for applying fabric and/or trim + color.
- Tracking supplier capability of DPC and putting into work DPC + overseeing compliance to Vendor Quality Standards (VQS).
- Confirms all styles are made to RL standards globally through the approval of Pre-Production Standards (PPS).
- E-mail, phone and video conference communication with NY/HK and other offices globally.
- Degree or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design or equivalent work experience preferred
- Experience in children's apparel related role
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability manage competing priorities.
- A sense of urgency and attention to detail
- Responsible and accountable
- Ability to proactively problem solve
- Knowledge of 3D programs a must
- Illustrator sketching a must
Computer Skills: Gerber, PLM, PDM, Adobe Illustrator, MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word