Technical Designer, Jackets - ANN
ascena is a leading national specialty retailer offering apparel, shoes, and accessories for women through our brands Ann Taylor, LOFT, and Lou & Grey, Lane Bryant and Cacique. We operate ecommerce websites and over 1200 stores throughout the United States.
Ready to apply? We currently have an opportunity for a Technical Designer, Jackets - ANN to join our team located at our Times Square Tower-ANN-New York, NY 10036.
Position OverviewTechnical Designer, Jackets
About The BrandsAt Ann Taylor and LOFT, we see beauty in a woman’s real life. From simple pleasures to more momentous occasions, the life she lives offers far more allure than any fantasy. She cultivates it with careful thought and curiosity, choosing only what feels right and rings true. She has the courage to know who she is. And she knows we know her too. Along the way, we’ve been a constant source of inspiration and style, helping her look and feel her best at every moment. It’s something we try to do with everything we create: elevate her everyday, every day.
We give her a wardrobe of possibilities.
Endless style options. Versatility for big days and every-days.
We give her quality that sets us apart.
It’s in the details. We take a curated approach and a sharp eye to everything we do. It’s about thoughtful choices that make great pieces forever pieces. Because the details are not just the details. They are the design.
We give her perfect pieces.
The elements of an enduring wardrobe. Clothes she can’t live without. Timeless. Infinitely wearable. She knows she’ll always find them here.
About The PositionThe Technical Designer aids the Senior Technical Designer or Manager of Technical Design to execute fit comments for the assigned product category. Manages the sample development process and is responsible for generating computerized specification packages and maintaining them through fit approval. Collaborates with production, product development, design and merchandising to ensure the quality, delivery and business practices are achieved and upheld. Demonstrates the company’s Values & Practices by maintaining effective collaborative relationships, taking pride in the company and brand, and embracing diversity.
- Attends all fittings and all relevant departmental meetings.
- Protects brand integrity through fit continuity, upholding construction standards and consistency.
- Captures team feedback during fittings and is responsible for the execution of the fit comments accordingly. (In the absence of the Sr. Technical Designer, the Technical Designer is responsible for conducting the fittings for their assigned product category and processing the fit comments accordingly).
- Follows up on e-mails from the overseas office regarding comments on fit.
- Partners up with QA during the Pre-Pro Sample Process for their assigned product category.
- Adheres to cross-functional calendar.
- Assures seasonal deadlines are met for assigned areas/ manages the fit tracking process.
- Identifies “at risk” styles to SR TD or Manager, reacting proactively, being on top of potential issues.
- Builds strong relationships with Merchandising, Design, Product Development, Sourcing and other key internal and external partners.
- Travels as needed to Sourcing and Vendor Development offices or factories to work with technical teams to troubleshoot, educate, and understand vendor/factory capabilities.
- Represents department in intra-department and cross-function initiatives.
- Encourages team atmosphere across brands and categories; fosters open communication and team environment with all business partners; receives constructive feedback professionally.
- 5-7+ years Technical Design experience of increasing responsibility in women’s apparel companies or manufacturers recognized as fashion industry leaders. Specialty, vertically integrated retail strongly preferred.
- Degree preferred in MS, BS in Clothing or Textiles, AA/AAS or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design or Patternmaking.
- Demonstrated expertise with patternmaking, fit, grading, garment construction, production, and manufacturing methods across a single product category.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships across departments with cross functional and external partners.
- Problem solve and flex in a fast-paced environment.
- Team oriented.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize execution of multiple tasks/projects.
- Effective performer in fast-paced and multi-faceted environment.
- Proficient computer skills inclusive of MS Office programs and technical design related software/programs (i.e. Illustrator, PLM, etc.)
- Able to travel domestically and internationally if required.
Times Square Tower-ANN-New York, NY 10036
Position TypeRegular/Full time
Equal Employment OpportunityThe Company is committed to hiring and developing the most qualified people at all levels. It is our policy in all personnel actions to ensure that all associates and potential associates are evaluated on the basis of qualifications and ability without regard to sex (including pregnancy), race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability that can reasonably be accommodated without undue hardship, genetic information, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected classification under federal, state, or local law. We do not discriminate in any of our employment policies and practices. All associates are expected to follow these principles in all relationships with other associates, applicants, or others with whom we do business.