Technical Designer- Swim
VENUS is a leading women’s fashion brand offering clothing, fashionwear and lingeriein sizes 2-24. Founded in 1984 and headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida, VENUS’ unique products inspireFun. Sexy. Style.and help our customers to make an impression in every moment of their lives.
This role is an opportunity to join a growing organization with transparent leadership and to work in an innovative environment with other passionate and hard-working people. Sustainability, diversity and inclusion are core values of our brand and are central to the company’s engaging culture. If you would like to be part of our inclusive, forward-thinking and collaborative team, we encourage you to apply today!
The Technical Designer for Swim facilitates the transition of product from initial design to final approval. They collaborate with cross-functional partners to land on appropriate fit and functional intent of product design; working directly with design, merchant, and production team members, to obtain clear direction and consensus on design aesthetic, fit intent and construction. They are expert in the field, responsible for leading fit sessions on live models or mannequins. They partner with Designer/Merchants to achieve design aesthetic and communicate fit and balance corrections internally and externally, while adhering to a production time and action calendar. They develop and leverage key vendor relationships to support efficient workflow, and drive fit consistency to improve the customer experience.
- Own fit approval process from Development Samples through PP and TOP stages partnering with design and production team in the approval process.
- Evaluate samples for fit, measurement, construction, pattern shaping and functionality to insure fit and proper styling.
- Ensure overall Customer fit consistency and provide fit approvals comments to all vendor partnerships.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of design, product development and production priorities.
- Lead fit sessions, construction approval, and documentation to all business partners to meet guidelines.
- Drive technical direction, internally and externally, on corrective actions needed to bring samples to brand fit standards. Utilize written comments, sketches, photos or pattern making as needed to communicate. Share information cross functionally to insure continuous implementation of best practices.
- Issue grading guidelines to vendors after fit approval. Understands the issues, resolves problems, and uses experience and knowledge to generate solutions and/or alternatives to insure fit consistency and customer satisfaction. When applicable, will assist the other operating divisions with solving garment construction and/or fit issues.
- Provide technical design information to design, merchants and product managers to insure all partners are up to date and product is meeting expectations regarding fit risks and critical deadlines.
- Maintain close partnership with production team to maintain on-time delivery throughout the pre-production process and proactively monitor future workload to ensure on-time approvals.
- Employ all available communication tools to convey technical issues/ requirements to vendors and to improve the technical design process.
- Support the development of and utilize tools (patterns, blocks, etc.) to achieve optimal and consistent fit.
- Leverage technical knowledge and leadership support to troubleshoot and resolve issues that are unique in nature and may require a novel approach.
- Effectively communicate fit intent, balance and construction internally and externally.
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
- Evaluate garment to determine compliance of specs, construction and fit intent.
- Recommend internal material and components to meet brand standard and uphold design intent.
- Involves partners (Sourcing/Merchandising/Design) in the resolution of problems, as necessary; informing them of vendor’s capabilities to meet technical design standards.
- Significant knowledge and experience with fabric and garment construction and manufacturing processes, especially within Swimwear and/or Lingerie.
- Strong computer and graphic skills with a deep working knowledge, including Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop, Excel, Microsoft Office, Web PDM or other software-based specification system.
- High accuracy in math skills for correct spec revisions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, to ensure clarity with vendors and manufacturers in all aspects of the design and manufacturing process.
- Ability to influence and make decisions across geographies in a matrix environment where speed and cultural sensitivity is crucial.
- Ability to proactively solve problems and effectively manage multiple challenges in a self-sufficient manner, without acting independently.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and time management capabilities.
- Ability to multi-task & delegate duties.
- 3D Development experience helpful but not required.
- Strong ability to lead, train & mentor.
- Willingness to assist as needed in the department.
- Willingness to travel international and domestic as needed, to visit manufacturing facilities, trade shows, buying trips, etc.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design with 6+ years of progressive experience in Technical Design.
- 5+ years of experience in swimwear, bras, foundations, and lingerie Technical Design.
- Experience leading teams.