Technical Designer - Swim
LIVE THE ISLAND LIFE
Tommy Bahama is looking for creative, diverse, and energetic people to help us live the island life! Tommy Bahama has grown to include both men’s and women’s apparel, home and beach goods, and a thriving restaurant and bar business. Everything that bears the Tommy Bahama name is created with an unwavering eye towards quality. More than ever, our focus is on taking our guests someplace great — through exceptional service, upscale products, and delicious food and drinks. Maintaining our unique point of view requires a diverse team that includes apparel designers, e-commerce and technology experts, manufacturing and operations, and, of course, retail and hospitality professionals. We would love to have you share your talents with us!
SET THE COURSE
Responsible for ensuring that all Women’s Swim product meets our specifications including; consistent fit, construction, pattern approvals, grading, specs, design details, labels etc. Documenting and communicating all style changes, developing and checking specifications for all styles and tracking all styles from samples to production. Responsible for establishing blocks according to Tommy Bahama specifications.
BE THE ISLAND GUIDE
- Executes initial styles from design handoff through production by developing specs and construction standards to meet required aesthetic following sketches and/or original samples.
- Works on both Development and Production tech packs and fittings.
- Specs and checks details on initial samples, salesman samples, approval samples pre-production and shipment samples.
- Reviews garments with designers, identifies problem areas, and resolves fit problems
- Leads fit sessions.
- Prepares list of garments to fit & paperwork for fittings. Ensures that all fit garments from the factories are measured and evaluation sheets are prepared and reviewed prior to fittings. Evaluates samples for fit, construction & workmanship.
- Effectively communicates fit comments overseas vendors within deadlines and with;
- Fully detailed written instructions to improve fit & quality of each garment
- Photos of problem fit areas to demonstrate requested corrections
- Detailed sketches – updated
- Construction information updated
- Garment measurements – including changes
- Ability to modify patterns for development and production if needed
- Grades spec sheets as requested
- Checks production specifications and production detail pages
- Sets up tracking sheets to monitor which samples are approved, the date of approval, and tracks garments through to production.
- Manages spec history; keeps track of different fits and updates all styles affected by any spec changes
- Maintains consistent fit, construction, grade rules, and tolerances in tech pack in Flex PLM
- Identifies potential production, quality, costing, and design issues and make appropriate recommendations.
- Reviews buy sheets and tracks quantities to determine how much time is devoted to the fitting of each style, and if time allows for changes.
- Lead competitive fit/construction analysis and apply learning
- Review established size sets for styles and products
- Tracks and manages fit sample approvals meeting calendar deadlines
- Keeps samples in an orderly manner
- Flexible for other duties as needed to help support the overall business
ESSENTIALS FOR LIFE IN PARADISE
- Bachelor's degree preferred and/or 5+ years experience as a technical designer/patternmaker/fit technician for a women’s sportswear and/or swimwear company.
- Technical design experience with Women’s Knit and/or Swim focus desired.
- Generally, 4+ years experience as a technical designer/patternmaker for a womenswear and/or swimwear company.
- Gerber patternmaking systems experience a plus.
- Advanced computer skills, PLM, Excel, and Word is highly desired.
- Sewing knowledge of the various sewing machines needed to execute production.
- Ability to work in a global, multi-cultural environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills for building collaborative working relationships within teams.
- Strong time management and organizational skills to establish and manage priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to proactively troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Detail oriented.
- Knowledge of garment construction, patternmaking and grading of women's product.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills.
Mahalo (thank you) for your interest in Tommy Bahama!
Tommy Bahama participates in E-Verify. Details in English and Spanish
. Right to Work Statement in English
Job Type: Full-time