Technical Designer, T By Talbots
The Technical Designer is responsible for facilitating the transition of apparel styles from design concept and first prototype to a final, production ready prototype. Collaborates with manager, agent partners, sourcing, product development, design and merchandising to ensure the fit, quality, delivery and business practices are achieved and upheld. Demonstrates the company’s Values and Practices by maintaining effective collaborative relationships, taking pride in the company and brand, and embracing diversity.
What We Offer:
- Growth! Here at Talbots our goal is to give you the tools to grow beyond this position and into the next.
- Condensed Work Week! If we have no work obligations, our Life-Work balance approach allows for us to start our weekend at 1pm on Fridays.
- Complete Benefit Package! Our benefits kick off the first day of the month after your start date! Discover more about our full benefits package here. We have competitive time off, including paid time to volunteer within the community.
- Merchandise Discounts! 50% off Talbots and our Haven Well Within brand as well as local business discounts (where applicable)!
- Protects brand integrity through fit continuity, upholding construction standards, sizing and styling consistency.
- Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent in order to establish the initial spec and construction detail.
- Executes the sample process by generating computerized specification packages.
- Manages the measuring and preparing of samples from development through production approval.
- Conduct fit evaluation sessions on live models to analyze balance and proportion of fit. Confirm compliance of garment to specifications and fit direction. Works closely with manager during and post fittings to continually improve skills.
- Documents the fit results, delivers clear communication through comment / specs / diagrams / photos and review of block patterns.
- Partners with manager or recommendations for garment construction that produces best results to each factory.
- Follows up on e-mails from overseas office regarding comments on fit / construction / and maintain design integrity.
- Ensures seasonal deadlines are met for their styles -- partners with manager to assess next steps when issues arise.
- Participates in departmental and cross-functional meetings as appropriate.
- Flexible to the needs of the total department and handles other responsibilities and projects, as assigned.
- Track and manage workflow and workload for own product.
- Fosters open communication and team environment with all business partners; receives constructive feedback professionally.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study or equivalent functional experience
- 6-8 years’ experience in Technical Design and/or Patternmaking
- Must have experience working in knits and bottoms
- Knowledge of grading, construction standards and manufacturing methods
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational capabilities
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to build collaborative relationships across departments and divisions
- Flexible/adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Strong computer knowledge (WEB PDM, Outlook, Microsoft, Adobe Applications), or other Tech Pack systems