Terrain Associate Buyer - Home
Associate Buyer- Home
The Associate Buyer- Home is responsible for creating an exciting and timely assortment that meets or exceeds the sales volume and profits for their respective departments. They are to execute the vision of the Managing Director, DMM and Creative Director and intuitively respond to customer feedback and market trends. In addition, this person must develop action plans that drive category specific growth and increase profitability. This person is responsible for the entire product life cycle from conception to post-season analysis. They will be accountable to the success of their business unit and are expected to use data along with their intuition to direct the assortment of their category.
- Analyze weekly and monthly sales, stock and on-order with the goal of optimizing sales and minimizing markdowns
- Manage the financial elements of the business, e.g., OTB, IMU, MD’s, etc. for assigned classes, with solid understanding of how decisions can impact each metric
- Identify the appropriate products and trends that will appeal to the customer and exceed internal sales and margin goals, while aligning with the brand’s concept and core aesthetic, with the support of their Sr Buyer manager
- Own product development process from design to creation of techpacks and sourcing to delivery, with the support of a shared Merch Assistant
- Hit all calendar milestones in the product development process to secure on-time deliveries
- Partner with the Buyer, DMM and Creative Director, along with comprehensive analysis of the business, e.g., last year results, current trends, etc, to confirm buying and production direction is on target
- Build relationships with vendors and negotiate with them for the best pricing
- Ensure assortment built for each season can hit all key metrics (sales, IMU and GM), through pre season and in season sku planning and analysis
- Decide initial buy quantities, along with replenishment quantities to ensure an optimal stock position, keeping in mind lead-times, vendor issues and shipping delays, along with seasonal builds
- Work in-season to analyze and react to current business trends, actively pursuing emerging opportunities and pivoting strategy, when appropriate, to mitigate risk
- 3+ years of buying/planning experience; home category experience a plus
- Strength in excel, pivot tables and reporting
- Strong organization, communication, and cross-functional collaboration skills
- Ability to understand numbers while also having the creative mindset to design product
- Appreciation and understanding of Terrain brand
Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion, Business, or a related field.
Some travel required.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We believe strongly in fostering a safe, fair and respectful work environment. To ensure compliance with our non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, we offer anti-harassment training to managers and employees.