Terrain Buyer - Seasonal And Garden Utility
Terrain: Buyer – Seasonal and Garden Utility
Merchandise Assistant, eventually Assistant buyer(s)
The Seasonal + Garden buyer is responsible for creating a compelling and timely Omni Channel product assortment that meets or exceeds the sales volume and profits for their respective departments. In addition, this person must develop long term and short term strategy and action plans that drive category specific growth and increase profitability, while managing and developing direct reports. They are to execute the vision of the Managing Director, DMM and Creative Director and intuitively respond to customer feedback and market trends. This person is responsible for the entire product life cycle from conception to post-season analysis. They will be accountable to the success of their business unit and are expected to use data along with their intuition to direct the assortment of their category.
· Analyze weekly and monthly sales, stock and on-order with the goal of optimizing sales and minimizing markdowns.
· Recognize and react quickly to all trends, both major and minor, in the business, whether product or store related.
· Ensure that buying direction is on target based on comprehensive analysis of the business, e.g., last year results, current trends, etc.
· Manage the financial elements of the business, e.g., OTB, IMU, MD’s, etc. for assigned classes
· Own the product development process from design to creation of techpacks and sourcing to delivery, with the support of your Merch Assistant.
· Manage styles to the plan, ensuring that each item is a winner and that the assortment is properly balanced and invested by ensuring there is an appropriate balance of seasonal color, foliage, form, price points, etc., and that we are taking the correct inventory position with key items, icing and newness.
· Ensure that vendor relations are optimal by negotiating the best possible prices, quality and service levels with an appropriate level of “partnership”. Hit all calendar milestones in the product development process to secure on-time deliveries
· Actively coach and mentor Merch Assistant in their personal development. Support an open and inclusive environment that prides itself on innovation, proactivity, customer focus and teamwork.
· Partner with the DMM and Creative Director, along with comprehensive analysis of the business, e.g., last year results, current trends, etc, to confirm buying and production direction is on target
· An understanding and appreciation of the Terrain brand, and the ability to identify the appropriate product/trend that will appeal to the customer and exceed their expectations.
· Strength in excel, working understanding of formulas, pivot tables, reporting and analysis.
· Strong organization, communication, and cross-functional collaboration skills.
· The ability to prioritize tasks and to balance the shifting immediate and long term needs of the business.
· Background interest, experience or aptitude in gardening, indoor plants, agriculture or floral design, with a preference for candidates with direct experience in the plant/green industry.
· An informed perspective on garden utility assortments,
· The ability to recognize a new trend, item, look, fabrication/technique early in its lifecycle and translate them for the terrain point of view.
· 3+ years of experience in buying or product development with a retailer
· Management experience
A Bachelor’s degree with preference for Horticulture, Landscape Architecture, Art History, Graphic/Product design, Business, or related field, or equivalent work experience.
Some travel required.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We believe strongly in fostering a safe, fair and respectful work environment. To ensure compliance with our non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, we offer anti-harassment training to managers and employees.