Terrain Merchandise Assistant - Gifts
As a Merchandise Assistant (MA), you will support the daily operational functions within your designated buying area; support the buying team in managing the overall merchandise flow. You will also learn to develop key cross functional relationships with both the market and internal partners: distribution center, vendors/agents and e-commerce team. The MA is also responsible for partnering with the Assistant Buyer on all necessary tasks.
· Open all packages and distribute to the appropriate Assistant Buyer for review
· Organize all sample areas (our area, desk, shelves, etc.)
· Manage and set up samples for all meetings
· Call in any missing samples from vendors or request from production via sample log
· Organize and file all vendor catalogs.
· Work with Assistant Buyer to request appropriate number of samples for web turnover, catalog shoots, press previews, and other meetings
· Check all mailboxes and distribute mail twice daily
· Open all mail and distribute to the appropriate Assistant Buyer for review
· Answer all emails promptly and in an organized fashion
· Take digital photos of all items
· Manage and maintain picture packs
· Complete powerpoints of product assortment inclusive of style info, margin and images for finalization meetings
· Enter all product information for each item being bought for upcoming seasons into MTS system
· Once final samples are received, label all samples and pass them to the Product Coordinator on weekly basis
· Set up new vendors as needed
· Answer various inquiries in a timely manner, especially shipping related
· Bubble up to assistant buyer and buyer any major issues/concerns
· Weekly, reach out to vendors to ensure that they are still on track for delivery of product according to the PO handover date
Order Entry/ PO Maintenance
· Write purchase orders when requested by Buyer and denoted in assortment sheet in our order entry system
· Ensure accuracy of all new and replenishment orders, confirming duty rates, freight rates, costing and time-line of shipment
· Complete all customs line reviews, once per month, or as needed
· Follow up with vendor to ensure they can meet the order requirements as necessary
· React to vendor or buyer needs by altering purchase orders as needed, as well as updating style information inclusive of costing, retail price changes and sku changes
Assortment Sheet Maintenance
· Update the assortment sheet for all orders placed, as well as price changes, sku changes, etc
· Take ownership of the accuracy of receipts in each month, as well as the costing information
· Review the Buyer's calendar weekly and prepare for upcoming meetings
· Monitor excel home calendar and maintain awareness of all upcoming deadlines
· Visit local stores to inspect execution and get a sense of general wear/tear to home product.
· Read magazines and bring tear sheets / ideas to the table for new merchandise and trends
Minimal travel required.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We believe strongly in fostering a safe, fair and respectful work environment. To ensure compliance with our non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, we offer anti-harassment training to managers and employees.
· Must exhibit strong communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work in a fast paced work environment.
· An understanding of the customer's wants and needs and the ability to identify the appropriate product/trend that will appeal to the customer and meet their expectations.
· Ability to prioritize projects and handle multiple tasks.
· Must demonstrate creative thinking.
· Must be proactive, independent and detail oriented
· 1-2 Years retail experience or internship.
Bachelor's Degree in Fashion, Business, or a related field.