Urban Outfitters Associate Buyer
To deliver the sales and profit plan for a class through the precise execution of a well-conceived merchandise strategy. Lead product development of online exclusive product and edit to appropriate private label and branded selections.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the UO target customer and the ability to select the appropriate product/trend that will appeal to the customer and meet their expectations.
- The ability to recognize a new fashion trend. Work with design to translate appropriate new ideas from blogs, street and aspirational sources.
- The analytic ability to manage an Open-To-Buy (OTB). Exhibit retail math skills that allow the individual to achieve bottom line performance.
- Exhibit a professional communication style (both verbal and written) as shown through strong presentation skills, excellent organizational skills and I high sense of urgency.
- The ability to prioritize tasks in order to balance the immediate and long term needs of the business.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) and the ability to learn new computer systems quickly and retain the information.
- Merchandise Analysis
- Analyze weekly and monthly sales, stock and on-order with the goal of optimizing sales and minimizing markdowns.
- Recognize and react quickly to all trends, both major and minor, in the business, whether they be product related or store related.
- Merchandise Planning
- Work with the Buyer and Planner on revising plans to ensure that sales and margin are optimized by class.
- Ensure that buying direction is on target based on partnering with Buyer and comprehensive analysis of the business, e.g., last year results, current trends, attribute selling, etc.
- OTB (Open-To-Buy) Management
- Manage the financial elements of the business, e.g., OTB, IMU, MD’s, etc. for assigned classes.
- Ensure that the receipt plan is tightly managed and that orders are placed on a timely basis (neither too late or too soon) and that receipts flow correctly throughout the month.
- Manage Styleouts
- Manage styleouts to achieve, to the greatest possible degree, that each item is a winner and that the assortment is properly balanced and invested by ensuring there is an appropriate balance of looks, silhouettes, fabrics, patterns, color, price points, etc., and that we are taking the correct inventory position with key items and fringe and/or new items.
- Work efficiently with catalog team on product information and color, and manage catalog inventory based on previous history and current trend.
- Assist in selecting new product for e-commerce division from retail’s assortment. Suggest category extensions / web exclusives to further growth.
- Product Development
- Work with designers, Market, and Technical Design to manage the timeline on all product development.
- Attend all fittings to ensure that sizing is standardized throughout the assortment.
- Vendor Relations
- Develop effective and beneficial relationships with key vendors.
- Manage vendor performance through effective negotiation and communication to maximize profitability, achieve financial objectives and ensure optimal supply chain operations.
- Ensure that all communication (listening and directing) is conducted appropriately with the stores.
- Develop collaborative relationships with internal colleagues including: production, planning, creative, catalog, DC and retail teams.
- Gain understanding of all roles and responsibilities within the organization and be flexible and cooperative in working with teams to achieve a common goal.
Experience Requirement:2 to 3 years in retail or direct buying office having served as an Associate Buyer or Senior Level Assistant buyer.
Career Path:An Associate Buyer should expect to spend 2 years gaining experience and mastering the required skills prior to being considered for promotion to the Buyer level.
Comments:Some travel may be required.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Urban Outfitters, Inc. celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We believe strongly in fostering a safe, fair and respectful work environment. To ensure compliance with our non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, we offer anti-harassment training to managers and employees.