Urban Outfitters Buyer - Textiles
Assistant Buyer, Merchandise Assistant
The Urban Outfitters Buyer is responsible for creating an exciting and timely product assortment that meets and exceeds the sales volume and profit for their departments. This candidate will need to deliver the sales and profit plan for assigned classes through the precise execution of a well-conceived merchandise strategy. They intuitively respond to customer feedback, market trends and develop action plans that drive category specific growth and increased profitability.
· Develop a compelling assortment, based on store and direct strategies that meet/exceed sales volume and profits
· Expand product line to enhance appeal to target market.
· Analyze velocity reports and respond to current trends as appropriate
· Ensure key fashion trends are well represented in the assortment. Test emerging trends for selling viability
· Facilitate finalizations to plan and merchandise product assortments for all channels
· Shop domestic and international market to fill voids, check on current trends and identify “chase“ opportunities
· Ability to distort classifications to ensure positioning within the market
· Responsible for managing inventory levels and flow
· Develop new resources
· Develop new design collaborations and manage artist relationships
· Negotiate price to insure mark-up goals are achieved
· Maintain clear vision of store and direct customer and her needs. Also develop the buying team in this area
· Work with Merchandising team to develop strong story lines for the web-sight, emails and store presentations
Organization & Analysis
· Weekly: Analyze velocity, attributes, and TY/LY. Manage OTB, markdowns, and inventory flow.
· Monthly: Analyze returns and markdowns for all channels and develop strategies to achieve profitability. Work closely with cross-functional teams to develop new and evolving strategies for go forward.
· Post Season: Conduct in-season and post-season analyses to better evaluate and control the business.
· Clearly communicate current trends, opportunities, successes, and failures at best/worst meetings.
· Maintain merchandising calendar relevant to Home
· Manage Buying team on daily sample management and collection of product information for style-outs, meetings, and photo shoots
· Train, manage, and delegate daily activities to Buying team
· Oversee Product Information prior to Turnover and develop compelling story lines to increase productivity for all channels.
· Drive and understand the private label process for product development. Contribute to continuous improvement in efficiencies, execution, brand/product positioning, timing, and quality.
· Shop competition and inspirational stores
· Read all pertinent trade, trend, consumer publications. Stay connected to current industry trends, fashion shows, design fairs, art exhibitions, and other influential cultural events.
· Challenge the buying team to interpret seasonal trends for all channels.
· Creative problem solving.
· True entrepreneurial risk mentality.
· Demonstrated ability to lead a business.
· Lead by example. Be positive, support company initiatives, mentor others, and be a part of the solution.
· Be able to own, articulate, and execute a clear vision.
· 5+ years buying experience required.
Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion, Business, or a related field.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.