Urban Outfitters- Concept Designer, Apparel
OverviewThe Concept Designer works to identify key trends and formulate seasonal concept ideas appropriate for Urban Outfitters. This role is responsible for putting together written communication for the Design and Buying teams to support concept direction, managing presentations to the Design and Buying teams, and conceiving ways to further the customer experience through brand and design development. Additionally, the Designer of Trend/Concept is required to: research, plan, coordinate, present, communicate, and strategize customer trends and influence the trends in various facets of Urban Outfitters.
ResponsibilitiesTrend Identification and Research:
- Ascertain new resources for trend, design and concept info.
Concept/Shop Idea Generation:
- Identify key looks and silhouettes to support the concepts/shops.
- Keep abreast of customer identity and interests relating to the social and cultural aspects of her lifestyle and relay the info to the Concept team.
- Leverage and identify applications for this knowledge and react with business initiatives involving product, design, merchandising and process.
Plan and Project Manage:
- Execute plans to expedite the initiatives relating to trend, concept and silhouette research including scheduling and logistics.
Information & Sample Management:
- Collect images to represent and illustrate current and future trends as related to Concept.
- Oversee and categorize Concept image folders to ensure timely data input and output.
- Manage category inspiration packs for Design teams.
- Manage Concept/Shop packs for Buying teams.
- Manage the Concept sample organization.
Present & Communicate:
- Uphold each season’s Concept Book organization and presentation set-up.
- Reinforce a process to relay pertinent Concept info to the Concept Director, Design Directors, Buyers and the Visual team.
Follow-up & Strategize:
- See plans through from conception to finalization.
- Continuously update said plans by preempting fluctuating trends within the marketplace.
- An extremely strong knowledge of trends and the ability to translate marketplace and trend trajectories for the Urban Outfitters customer.
- Must have a unique creative perspective applicable to future fashion trends as they relate to the Urban Outfitters customer.
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to see creative vision through, from inception to completion.
- Must be enthusiastic about product and categories and be motivating in presentation and communication style.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and ability to organize complex information and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently with high sense of urgency while supporting company goals and objectives.
- Ability to identify and communicate trends appropriate to the customer and distill trend info into key messages that drive sales and marketing plans.
Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion, Business, or a related field.
TravelSome travel required.