Urbn Store Designer
Job descriptionURBN Store Designer
The Store Designer will manage the design development of new stores, renovations, remodels, special projects and store fixtures via deliverables execution by the internal Store Design Team and/or vendor collaborations; develop brand driven spaces that engage the customer in unexpected ways.
Reports to:Design Director
Design Development & Inspiration
- Motivate and facilitate the Design Associate to develop innovative, site-specific, Brand-appropriate designs from initial concept through store opening
- Inspire outside-of-the-box thinking while effectively managing expectations of the internal Store Design Team
- Develop and design with Store Design Managers a conceptually innovative, financially viable and operationally sound retail spaces that enhance Brand equity
- Ensure the creation of an effective space for the merchandising team’s work that optimizes their ability to install outstanding seasonal displays
- Ensure that profit metrics are met on each project
- Partner with Senior Store Environment Manager - with fiscal project parameters in mind – to engage team in a design process that leads to complete deliverables ready for final construction documentation by the Architect of Record
- Review construction document check sets, ensuring that design intent has not been compromised through the course of consultant coordination. Review with Principal all concerns
- Partner with Store Operations team to ensure that the end result is operationally sound store
- Partner with Art Department to explore new graphics idea (Signage + Barricade graphic) and Artist collaborations for specific store design
- Participate in all DRM’s
- Oversee development of store design intent with all consultants (AOR, and Vendors)
- Lead and update the development and implementation of internal template documents for Design Set
- Initiate, promote and sustain outstanding communication and collaboration between the Design Associate, Store Environment Team, Art Department Team and the Operations Team to review and discuss progress
- Act as guardian of all design packages developed by the Design Associates. Oversee in a timely manner all design packages and assure the quality and level of detail of information
- Assure the proper level of information is reflected in the design set at each successive DRM to facilitate productive discussion between all parties
- Develop and maintain a positive, passionate and team-oriented environment
- Be self-motivated and able to quickly and accurately assess end-goals, while fostering an environment that encourages team members to operate in a similar fashion
- Manage multiple projects with variable timelines concurrently
- Mentor Store Design Managers to develop an eye for best use of space’s existing conditions from a brand perspective
- Travel to site(s) at pre-kickoff with the Design Associate and AOR’s survey team (when possible) to get a strong understanding of the space. Survey space on a design perspective; identify potential Brand-appropriate existing feature elements (review ceiling, wall finishes, building structure, floor quality, storefront, adjacent tenant and neighborhood)
- Set schedule of strategically timed construction site visits to guarantee design intent is met and site specific conditions addressed without negatively impacting overall project cost
- Review construction site photos with the Design Associate
- Work with the Construction Project Manager throughout the construction process, and resolve any design questions in a timely matter in adherence to budget, communicate this to Principal through weekly change order log
- Lead the Design Walkthrough with the Design Associate and the Principal (optional)
- 5+ years minimum of professional experience in an architecture firm
- Diverse design/architecture background demonstrating knowledge of multiple creative and technical disciplines.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple creative talents toward singularly focused targeted operational objectives.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal with a proven ability to confront difficult and/or ambiguous situations head-on while maintaining a positive rapport with all parties.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and their inherent expectations with diverse stakeholders
- Self motivated; ability to work towards deadlines and establish schedule milestones for the team
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to hand sketch
- Efficient with Autocad, Adobe Programs, 3D Programs (Sketch-up) and Microsoft Office