As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
All About Visual MerchandisingThe Visual Merchandiser supports an active selling culture by ensuring that visual moments are set and maintained to the Visual Merchandising Guide (VMG) direction and inspirational for the guest to drive sales. They are experts in visual standards, which includes specific merchandising techniques, fixture blocking, lighting and the implementation of all In Store Marketing (ISM) elements such as mannequins, navigational signs and all Coordinated Store Environment (CSE) signs that support events, seasons, holidays and in store promotions.
RoleThe role of a Visual Merchandiser can provide you with the
At Target, we believe in our team members having meaningful experiences that help them build and develop skills for a career.
- Knowledge of retail business fundamentals including: department sales trends, inventory management, guest shopping patterns, pricing and promotions strategies
- Skills in planning department(s) daily/weekly workload to support business priorities and deliver on sales goals
- Experience influencing a team of hourly team members to improve their visual merchandising acumen and skills
- Experience in leading the strategy of visual merchandising and Visual Standards implementation
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias
- Create a welcoming experience by authentically greeting all guests
- Observe to quickly understand whether a guest needs assistance or wants to interact. Engage with guests in a genuine way, which includes asking questions to better understand their specific needs
- Be knowledgeable about the tools, products, and services available in the total store, and specific to your area, to solve issues for the guest and improve their experience
- Thank the guest in a genuine way and let them know we’re happy they chose to shop at Target.
- Influence a store team of leaders, Style Consultants and General Merchandise (GM) experts to be knowledgeable about visual merchandising and visual standards
- Understand sales goals, plan and execute daily/weekly workload to deliver on visual merchandising, department and store sales goals, guest engagement; including: merchandising, transitions, events and promotions
- Lead the execution of the company Visual Merchandising strategy, visual standards and non-pogged In Store Marketing (ISM) implementation across all pertinent areas of the store
- Partner with store leaders to plan, support and validate the execution of all Visual Merchandising Guides (VMG) sets in the store
- Support team onboarding, continuous learning and help close knowledge and skill gaps through training, influencing and hands on experiences
- Inspire guests to discover solutions through compelling visual merchandising in all categories
- Leverage daily interactions and huddles to teach visual priorities to Style Consultants and General Merchandise Experts about visual priorities and creating visual moments to support building the basket for each guest
- Solve merchandising issues and adjust sets to create and maintain inspiring presentations
- Teach and influence A&A clearance guiding principles
- Assess store visual standards to help elevate visual presentations in A&A, Home, Company Space, LTOs and Brand Launches
- Support the execution of Visual Merchandising Guides (VMG) Support changes to product assortment and keep the area inspiring to guests all year round by remerchandising new product and maintaining a brand space following new sets
- Partner to maintain visual integrity by remerchandising in store visual moments
- Organize and set all non-planogram ISM elements throughout the store
- Maintain backroom ISM space organized and up to date with current signing tools and signing fixtures
- Provide service and a shopping experience that meets the needs of the guest
- Work a schedule that aligns to guest and business needs (this includes early morning, evening, overnight shifts and weekends)
- Always demonstrate a culture of ethical conduct, safety and compliance
- Support guest services such as back-up cashier, order pick up (OPU) and Drive-up (DU) and maintain a compliance culture while executing those duties, such as compliance with federal, state, and local adult beverage laws.
- All other duties based on business needs
- You are someone who gets inspired by new style trends, differentiating visual merchandising presentations and enjoy teaching and influencing a team to drive results through visual standards
- You are the go-to friend for fashion advice for events or everyday looks, or if your friends lean on you to help inspire them with decorating their home because you have amazing taste in décor and understand the difference between a modern, traditional and eclectic style
- Working in a fun and energetic environment makes you excited…. We work efficiently and as a team to deliver for our guests
- Providing service to our guests that makes them say I LOVE TARGET! excites you…. That’s why we love working at Target
- Stocking, setting and selling Target products sounds like your thing… That’s the core of what we do
- You aren’t looking for Monday thru Friday job where you are at a computer all day… We are busy all day (especially on the weekends), making it easy for the guest to feel welcomed, inspired and rewarded
The good news is that we have some amazing training that will help teach you everything youneed to know to be a Visual Merchandiser.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 1 to 2 years of visual merchandising experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
- Business acumen (i.e. margin, profitability, etc.) and creativity to inspire guests and drive sales
- Strong understanding of trend and style that is reflective of our brand
- Lead and influence store teams to follow processes that support visual merchandising
- Learn and adapt to current technology needs
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Manage workload and prioritize tasks independently
- Welcoming and helpful attitude
- Effective communication skills
- Access all areas of the building to respond to guest or team member issues
- Operate WAVE and pallet jack
- Interpret instructions, reports and information
- Accurately handle cash register operations
- Climb up and down ladders
- Scan, handle and move merchandise efficiently and safely, including frequently lifting or moving merchandise up to 15 pounds and occasionally lifting or moving merchandise and fixtures up to 40 pounds
- Flexible work schedule (e.g., nights, weekends and holidays) and regular attendance necessary