Visual Merchandising Manager | Americas
Aesop has carefully cultivated a work environment in which our employees are constantly challenged to do their best. Our company is determinedly creative, intelligent and progressive, and nurtures these qualities by employing people who share our passionate interest in design, innovation, and incisive enquiry across all fields.
Our organisational culture is entirely unique, distinguished by an uncommon blend of courtesy, cordiality and intellectual energy. We seek those who can bring a wealth of life experience and inspired ideas to our table.
In return, we provide comprehensive induction and training programmes, and encourage an inclusive culture that nurtures enduring professional relationships. We also appreciate the benefits that flow from our employees' external pursuits.
We raise our bar high at Aesop and never lower it; this is one of the keys to our success and one of the many reasons why people wish to work here. If you would like to join Aesop, we invite you to peruse our current career opportunities.
Aesop is seeking an experienced and passionate Visual Merchandising Manager to lead the team in coordinating all Visual Merchandising for Aesop signature stores and counters across Americas. This is a full-time position based in our New York office.
In this role you will be responsible for managing VM across all stores throughout the Americas region, as well as marketing events and activations. Your creative and efficient methods of working will be key to your success in contributing to the performance of the business and leading your team effectively.
You will monitor and analyze VM results on a regular basis, identifying trends or concerns; and manage the Americas VM budget. This role will see you working closely with our Head of Marketing, Regional Marketing Manager, Commercial Directors and Retail Operations Manager, with your strong stakeholder management skills being key in building relationships with the broader Americas and Aesop global teams to ensure best outcomes for the Americas retail business.
At Aesop, Visual Merchandisers inherit a unique portfolio of stores, with no to alike in volume, materiality and palette. It is imperative that the Visual Merchandising Manager has a sound architectural awareness to guide the regional Visual Merchandising teams to scale the global VM guidelines appropriately for each door.
In this role you will champion an approach throughout the VM team's efforts that is inclusive of all communities across race, ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation, and oversee the planning of key regional brand moments and campaigns to elevate marginalized voices through such opportunities as vendor partnerships, prop suppliers and the VM Advocate Program.
VM Strategy & Financial Management
Contribute materially to the performance of the business through the development and implementation of the VM Strategy
Actively research and participate in the development of visual merchandising concepts
Monitor and analyze results on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis, identifying trends or concerns
Build and manage the Americas VM Budget, including the accurate forecasting of expenses including travel
Competitive medical, dental and vision insurance with fully company paid options
401k savings with company match without vesting period
Generous employee discount and bi-annual complimentary products
Up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave
Starting 20 days of vacation with annual tenure increases
3 paid volunteer days annually
Subscription to meditation programming through Headspace
Subscription to mental wellness programming through Modern Health with 6 coaching and 8 therapy sessions per year for yourself and up to three family members
The annual base salary range is $100-125K, plus company benefits, bonus and annual merit review eligibility. Actual salaries will be based off years of experience, skills, competencies qualifications.
Job descriptionMAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
VM Planning & Execution
- Develop and optimize the VM team structure and ways of working to ensure creative outputs are both considered and efficient
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of VM according to the global VM principles and against marketing and retail goals, propose solutions to drive awareness and impact retail sales
- Oversee the efficient procurement, creation and installation of props for visual merchandising of all stores and counters
- Oversee and approve the implementation of displays at all Aesop Signature Stores and Counters across Americas
- Develop a VM calendar aligned with the marketing calendar
- Approve VM plans for all campaigns, events and partnerships
- Ensure procurement and partnerships actively champion under-represented voices and minority owned business.
- Ensure procurement, installations, sourcing solutions adhere to Aesop's environmental sustainability standards
- Ensure delivery and cohesion of all VM components for new stores
- Support new store photography and attend and oversee photoshoots where possible
- Travel to manage the photography or campaign activations of key projects
- Work closely with other members of the Americas team to develop and define the representation of the brand
- Collaborate and influence key stakeholders to ensure high VM standards and performance
- As a minimum, on a monthly basis meet with Marketing, Commercial Directors, Operations, Training, HR teams respectively
- Build rapport with key individuals in the global and Americas team which could impact the Americas retail business
Recruitment and Induction
- Partner with Human Resources to recruit and select team members that reflect the culture and values of Aesop
- Ensure new team members are correctly inducted into Aesop
- Monitor new team members through their probation period, ensuring that reviews through this period are documented and feedback is provided to Human Resources
- Actively network and identify potential candidates, working with Human Resources to maintain a candidate pool
- Regularly meet with RBMs / Commercial Directors to review performance and development of team, documenting the discussion, action plans and progress against actions
- Nurtures an inclusive team spirit in which each team member can contribute their genuine self, and in which a diversity of viewpoints and lived experiences are encouraged
- Support local Visual Merchandisers in planning their projects; facilitate the sharing of information and resources between markets, optimize the implementation of regional initiatives, scale them when relevant
- Build and maintain relationships with all team members
- In conjunction with Human Resources, work to ensure all roles and responsibilities within the VM team are clearly defined, well communicated and managed accordingly
- Ensure the Career Conversation process is undertaken with all direct reports in a timely manner
- In conjunction with Human Resources, address any performance or Employee Relations issues promptly and with the least impact on the business; escalate where the issues pose a breach of the Code of Conduct or other policies
- Provide timely, accurate and specific feedback on performance to the team
- Support local Visual Merchandisers in developing a strong three-dimensional understanding of our spaces and learning our design vocabulary to interpret and appropriately respond to each unique scenario.
- Recognize and reward staff for exceeding expectations
- Identify opportunities to ensure continued development and growth of team
- Manage employee turnover by contributing to a positive, harmonious and stimulating work environment that encourages talent retention
- In conjunction with Human Resources, seek to understand employees' reasoning when leaving Aesop and highlight any issues that could impact on future staff retention
- Regularly review current staff and identify key talent for further development and promotion
- Facilitate and participate in regular staff events to foster and maintain the Aesop culture
- On an annual basis, in conjunction with the Regional Marketing Manager to review salary and incentive packages for employees.
- Actively communicate and support directives from Global Head Office
- Maintain effective, regular and Aesop appropriate communication with colleagues
- Conduct regular and structured meetings with teams to collectively review performance, identify opportunities, obtain feedback and implement actions
- Attend, participate and present in relevant forums and meetings
- Ensure all communications are read, shared and actioned in a timely manner
- Complete all administrative tasks in an accurate and timely manner
- Maintain proficient computer skills and program knowledge
ProfileSKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 4-5 years of experience managing Visual Merchandising strategy for a multi-location retail business
- A minimum of 5 years of experience directly managing a Visual Merchandising team
- Professional training, college or trade experience in design
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) and Microsoft Office (PPT and Excel)
- Experience in managing a fast paced and dynamic workforce
- Strong communication, influencing and negotiation skills
- A meticulous level of attention to detail, in all endeavors
- Large scale, multi-location, project management experience
- Shows initiative and proactively presents and escalates ideas, suggestions and problems
- Demonstrates an ability to make data driven decisions and drive business performance
- A strong three-dimensional understanding and vocabulary
- Extensive interest in the arts and design
- An appreciation for Aesop's unique culture