Women's Leather Goods Designer
Founded in 1971 in Somerset, England, today Mulberry is a truly global fashion company and the largest manufacturer of luxury leather goods in the United Kingdom. Across all locations, we are united by our employee values: Be Bold, Be Open, Be Responsible, Be Imaginative.
If these are values you share, we would love you to join our team.
As a Women's Leather Goods Designer, you will work with the Head of Design and the Senior Women's Leather Goods Designer to develop the women's leather goods collection. You will work on the research, design and development to create new and progressive designs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Carry out research as specified by Head of Leather Goods Design.
- Display resourcefulness with a variety of research techniques including library and market research.
- Find interesting research leather goods to use for shape / material / treatment reference on research trips in London and away.
- Design the Leather Goods collections, working closely with Head of Leather Goods Design and other Women's Leather Goods Designers.
- Experiment with different techniques and materials to push the creativity and to make the collections diverse.
- Be confident at developing ideas 3-dimensionally and always looking to develop design ideas in more original and modern ways.
- Push the collection to be as luxurious and innovative as possible whilst maintaining a true Mulberry aesthetic.
- Spec for suppliers.
- Ensure critical path is adhered to and keep on top of all key dates.
- Communicate regularly with Head of Leather Goods Design with any ideas, issues, progress, delays etc.
- Work with suppliers to ensure prototypes come in for planned fit meetings or proto reviews.
- Work closely with production group to ensure product specs are accurate for target costings and production handover.
- Produce accurate sketches / CADs updated after fits for production team.
- Work with suppliers to ensure all salesman samples arrive in time for any deadlines.
- Understand and demonstrate the Mulberry employee values and behaviours: Be Bold, Be Imaginative, Be Open, Be Responsible.
- Support Mulberry to deliver an inclusive culture, through behaving in a way that is open-minded and respectful towards others, and understanding that your views, opinions and experiences may not always be shared by your colleagues.
- Act as an ambassador for Mulberry and communicate positively about the brand.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Appropriate degree supported by a strong portfolio.
- At least 6 years' experience in the industry (can include work experience / gap years).
- 1-2 years' experience in a similar position.
- Wide knowledge of leather goods.
- Experience of working in a busy design studio organising and prioritising a demanding workload.
- Designing, planning and developing a collection.
- Enthusiastic and passionate about fashion.
- Versatile in design skills.
- Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and other appropriate CAD program experience.
- Reliable and practical.
- Ability to work effectively with a team and on an individual basis.
- Fluent in English. Italian is a plus.
- Flexibility to travel when required.